[NatureNS] re ticks - how to avoid them?

From: bev wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 10:34:55 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Ken, and all,

That was pretty much how things went with this bite.  It did not heal quickly and could feel soreness at that site for the rest of the summer.  I don't think I have experienced any ill effects.  However, here's a curious piece of information on a delayed response to a tick bite.   One of my Missouri friends related a story about having been bitten by a tick.  Bites happened occasionally as he had a farm and also a keen interest in botany that draws him to the woods.  After this particular bite, he did not give it much thought as chigger and tick bites occur frequently in Missouri.  However, he then became very ill - fatigue, muscle ache, headache, dizziness - and was subsequently diagnosed with ehrlichiosis.  He recovered and seemed fine.  However, A few months later, he developed what can only be described as a serious allergic reaction to red meats - beef being the worst.  He breaks out in terrible hives after eating anything containing even the smallest amount of beef.  He discussed the reaction with his doctor, but they came up with no cause for the sudden onset of this allergy.  All of this took place several years ago and the allergy has remained.   Several months ago, he came across an article on the link between certain tick bites and the development of severe meat allergies.  Here is a link to one article on the subject.  I found this of interest as, last summer, a farmer friend here in Nova Scotia told me that she had developed a red meat allergy a couple of years ago.  When I see her this summer, I will mention this information although in the article, only the Lone Star Tick has been implicated (thus far).  By the way, I'm a vegetarian, so I would never know if this allergy were to develop.  Interesting delayed reaction though!
http://www.examiner.com/article/lone-star-tick-can-make-you-sick

Bev