[NatureNS] (likely Western) Palm Warbler with unexpected song, Kentville

From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 13:50:28 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c3997e78c02604dbaaeb1b

hi folks,

This morning an unrecognized song from the backyard (Forest Hill Rd,
Kentville; 7:30 am) turned out to be coming from a male *Palm Warbler*. A
first for our yard since we moved here in 2010. The song was not the
typical consistent buzzy trill, it was less buzzy in timbre and more
variable in pitch, similar in character to that of a Chestnut-sided Warbler
late in the breeding season. I can find no similar examples on the Sibley
App, Dendroica nor Xeno Canto, and no description of this song type on
Birds of North America online. I thought this might be a dawn song, or an
early-season song type - and it might be. However, the plumage also
suggested that this was likely a "*Western*" (*palmarum*) Palm Warbler -
much less yellow on head and face, limited brown on crown, less yellow and
streaking on belly and sides, greyish wings.

*Can anyone provide some details/sources on differences in vocalisations
between palmarum and hypochrysea?* I did get a recording, but by the time I
captured it the song was sounding more like a 'typical' Palm Warbler song
with just hints of the other type (maybe suggesting that the earlier
vocalisations were a dawn song)...

In the past few days, we've also had a *Purple Finch* and *Chipping Sparrow*.
The *Purple Martins* have not been heard again but I see first reports from
NB occurring this week too.

cheers,
James.

--
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia

--001a11c3997e78c02604dbaaeb1b

g from the backyard (Forest Hill Rd, Kentville; 7:30 am) turned out to be c=
oming from a male <b>Palm Warbler</b>. A first for our yard since we moved =
here in 2010. The song was not the typical consistent buzzy trill, it was l=
ess buzzy in timbre and more variable in pitch, similar in character to tha=
t of a Chestnut-sided Warbler late in the breeding season. I can find no si=
milar examples on the Sibley App, Dendroica nor Xeno Canto, and no descript=
ion of this song type on Birds of North America online. I thought this migh=
t be a dawn song, or an early-season song type - and it might be. However, =
the plumage also suggested that this was likely a &quot;<b>Western</b>&quot=
; (<i>palmarum</i>) Palm Warbler - much less yellow on head and face, limit=
ed brown on crown, less yellow and streaking on belly and sides, greyish wi=
ngs.=A0</div>

id get a recording, but by the time I captured it the song was sounding mor=
e like a &#39;typical&#39; Palm Warbler song with just hints of the other t=
ype (maybe suggesting that the earlier vocalisations were a dawn song)...</=
div>

n heard again but I see first reports from NB occurring this week too.</div=

r><a href=3D"mailto:jameslchurchill@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">jameslchur=
chill@gmail.com</a><br>

--001a11c3997e78c02604dbaaeb1b--