[NatureNS] Carbon burps

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 21:23:07 -0300

Dear All,                        May 2, 2013
    Yesterday, May 1, I took a brief walk in North Alton partly to see if
wood tiers were still intact and covered and partly to see the state of
trees that looked threatened last fall. About 80-90% of trees in one area,
in decline since 2002, are now dead.
   This area, last cut ~60 years ago, will be a net source of CO2 for some
time (decades ?) and soil N will be very low which will hamper regrowth.
This 20 yr (?) burp of CO2 is a far cry from the idealized concept of carbon
capture until trees are mature.
    And today I walked briefly in an old-growth forest (Kentville Ravine) or
more precisely a previous forest. The high winds of Dec 13, 2010 blew over
nearly all trees in one fairly large area. This area will also be a net CO2
source for 5+(?) decades.
    Forests can capture carbon for a while but when too much goes wrong they
may burp carbon.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville