[NatureNS] strange fungi

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 17:45:24 -0300

Well it is strange to me at any rate. I have photos if someone would look
and tell me what it is. Only one there as far as I can see. I found a fungi
(I think) and wonder if someone can help me ID it, please? Kind of looks
like a piece of brown cauliflower growing from the ground. Stem is like a
tree trunk and the head all curly like a brain, might be frost burned but
seems solid enough. I didn't see it the other day when I was putting out my
composted seaweed and can't figure how I would have missed it. I did Google
it and haven't seen anything quite like it  but some close.  I have a yard
that loves to put up all sort of wild and wonderful plants where least I
expect to find them.
Of note today is the nuthatches are moving 'a lot' of sunflower seed into
the maple tree beside the driveway. One has a  very dark black head, the
other  quite a blue but paler and lovely gray! they aren't worried about my
presence, I have been used as a rest stop at one stage and stood quiet while
it discussed world matters with its friend/partner.
 Finally we do have a lovely Cardinal! Male has disappeared.  We got a
lovely new swallow house from Penny Lane enterprises in Milton and with a
few quick adaptations it will be very suitable....we think so... but the
truth will come tomorrow when the swallows check in. IF they do.
No hummingbird visiting the feeders regularly but every now and again
someone zips in, fuels up very quickly and heads off to the westward.
In bloom are vinca, purple violets, wild strawberry blossoms, scillas, grape
hysanths, etc that escaped, small bulbs various, (I did not plant them)
probably toted in by critters various and probably by very friendly and
striped monks.
The Japanese Quince is ready to pop.
Poppies are soon budding and the mayflowers are just about done my sister
says. I haven't seen any yet so tomorrow I will poke about. I have a couple
plants tucked here on the property that are so rich and pink.
Best regards,
Marg in White Point, Queens