[NatureNS] Sunrise and sunset changes

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 18:38:16 -0300

Hi Gerald & All,                    May 4, 2013
    Just a guess, but I think the most symmetric curve would be day length
as opposed to change in sunrise and sunset over time because rise & set
curves will be distorted (I think) by the analemma effect.
    If you look at the projection of the elliptic on a globe you will see
that slope (dy/dx) is maximal at the equator (equinox) and decreases to zero
at the solstices. Consequently I would expect daily change in daylength to
be maximal at the spring and fall equinox (equinix ?) because daylength will
be a function of displacement from the equator. Almanacs don't show this
clearly because values are rounded usually to the nearest minute.
Yt, DW