[NatureNS] Owl Survey, Earltown

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 15:53:08 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c1c4202390dd04dbfd1a28

I did my second route two nights ago with my friend Ivan Cozzi; he's done
this route with me many times, including an early season running one year
where we had to take a run at some snow drifts to get through them! Not
this year though.

This route runs from Guysborough Intervale to New France, Ant. Co. I'd
guess and say that half the time, we get all three common owls, maybe an
average of five owls total on this route? This year, we had one distant
Barred (I couldn't even hear it...never let me do an owl route by myself!)
and three Saw-whets.

We didn't hear a single coyote, or see a deer, both of which are also
normal on this route. We did tally five porcupines though.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 5 May 2013 15:43, Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> **
> Pat McKay and I ran our owl survey at Earltown, between Truro and
> Tatamagouche, last night.  The sky was completely clear, and there was no
> wind at all at most stops.  Dry conditions, little running water noise, few
> nearby peepers.  So listening conditions were good.
>
> In the past, over 25 owls have been heard on this route.  There was no
> moon in the sky last night, however, and this was not a night when owls
> were sitting up and advertising territories, which I've found in Cape
> Breton will happen even late in the season, when there is a bright moon in
> the sky.
>
> We heard 11 owls;
> - 5 Barreds:  2 pairs nesting close to the road, that flew in, and one
> distant owl calling in response to the survey playback;
> - 5 Great Horneds: 2 pairs and one single giving quiet contact calls to
> communicate with mates in response to the playback; and
> - 1 Northern Saw-whet, tooting away in the distance.
>
> With shooting stars and calm conditions, this was a most enjoyable night
> to be out owling.
>
> Cheers,
> Susann Myers

--001a11c1c4202390dd04dbfd1a28

ozzi; he&#39;s done this route with me many times, including an early seaso=
n running one year where we had to take a run at some snow drifts to get th=
rough them! Not this year though.<div>

ce, Ant. Co. I&#39;d guess and say that half the time, we get all three com=
mon owls, maybe an average of five owls total on this route? This year, we =
had one distant Barred (I couldn&#39;t even hear it...never let me do an ow=
l route by myself!) and three Saw-whets.</div>

a deer, both of which are also normal on this route. We did tally five porc=
lass=3D"gmail_extra">

 in the boonies of<br>Antigonish County, NS.</div>
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:myerss@eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">mye=
style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

<u></u>

=20
between Truro and Tatamagouche,=A0last night.=A0 The sky was completely=20
clear, and there was no wind at all at most stops.=A0 Dry conditions, littl=
e=20
running water noise, few nearby peepers.=A0 So listening conditions were=20
good.</font></div>
=20
route.=A0 There was no moon in the sky last night, however,=A0and this was=
=20
not a night when owls were sitting up and advertising territories, which I&=
#39;ve=20
found in Cape Breton will happen even late in the season, when there is a b=
right=20
moon in the sky.</font></div>
the road, that flew in, and one distant=A0owl calling in response to the=20
survey playback;</font></div>
=20
quiet contact calls to communicate with mates in response to the playback;=
=20
and</font></div>
distance.</font></div>
=20
was a most enjoyable night to be out owling.</font></div>

--001a11c1c4202390dd04dbfd1a28--