[NatureNS] Fw: Dog's-Tooth Violet (Trout Lily)

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 15:52:39 -0300

Dear All,                            May 6, 2013
This year we have one blossom; the first in 10 years !
Location is everything; and initial vigor perhaps. I dug these in 2003 for a
friend who wanted some, gave him the largest and put the runts in our
garden. His, I learned some years later, flowered the following year. But
near our garden there is a very large willow (Salix fragilis) so root
competition is likely fierce.
    I had not noticed until now that the outer whorl of stamens shed pollen
before the inner whorl.
Yt, Dw, Kentville