[NatureNS] Yesterday at White Point

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 11:22:30 -0300

Yesterday it was a lovely lovely spring day at White point. The fog would
come as far as the golfcourse and no further then pull back. Swallows (
there appears to be a single barn swallow in the mix now) wheeled about over
head and twittered. I love hearing them  There were 7 male red-winged
blackbirds all making advances at each other? but as far as I could see no
female was involved or present. Grackles are posturing for everything.
A little girl visiting my neighbours next door thought they were showing off
and dancing just for her.
There were 6 lovely male purple finches working their magic on a single (as
far as I could tell) female. They moved through most of the trees and
finally I know who is making a song I couldn't id!
 Warblers are coming through; I had a blackburnian warbler, and another this
morning, this one in colour! Lovely. There is still a female Cardinal here
from time to time but not the  male. I hope he just gave up on her arrival
and nothing has happened to him. He was so regular a visitor. I would love
to have them settle.
Juncos have been dancing and displaying in the trees and practicing touch
and go. I wonder if there is a nest near by. Must check to see how they
raise their broods.
Fog has pulled back again and the sun is so nice, bright, warm and welcome!!
Work in the yard later will bring more delights I am sure.
Best regards,
 Marg Millard, White Point, Queens