[NatureNS] Fledged Mourning Doves and Third Owl Monitoring Route

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 13:57:15 +0000

--_9ddce85a-05a3-4a1a-a4e9-5e5db3e8b5c7_

Hi all: Last year a pair of mourning doves nested in Garden Lots and raised=
 eight young=2C which consisted of four nestings.  A pair returned to the s=
ame spot this year above the light fixture outside of the house.  Yesterday=
 there were two large young in the nest and the adult was not observed to r=
eturn=2C so the house owner thinking the worst gave me a call as to what sh=
e should do for the young.  I was unable to phone her back until this morni=
ng or did not get the message until today.  In the meantime she had her hus=
band climb the ladder and try to feed the young worms.  (Keep in mind that =
I had not phoned them back at this point)  The moment that he up the two yo=
ung flew out=2C so they were old enough to fledge.  When I phoned today the=
 adult had returned to the empty nest.   Dorothy Poole and I ran my third o=
wl monitoring route last night which goes from Camperdown to East Port Medw=
ay.  Most of the area is now miles of clear-cuts behind the few trees along=
side of the road and it was the worst that I've seen it for owls on this ro=
ute.  Before taking the route over from Sylvia Fullerton I had gone with he=
r to assist previously=2C so I'm familiar with the history of the route and=
 what used to be there.  So overall we had four barred owls of which three =
were visible.  The one was at the limit of my hearing range.  The second fl=
ew across without a sound and did not start to call until after the play ba=
ck had ended.  The last two were very vocal throughout.  As per other wildl=
ife.  More common loons then I've ever heard on this route=2C on both fresh=
 and saltwater.  We had one American woodcock and one white-throated sparro=
w was vocal.  As per Amphibians=2C there were very vocal spring peepers=2C =
loads of American toads=2C leopard frogs and a green frog.   James R. Hirtl=
eBridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_9ddce85a-05a3-4a1a-a4e9-5e5db3e8b5c7_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
&nbsp=3B<BR>Last year a pair of mourning doves nested in&nbsp=3BGarden Lots=
 and raised&nbsp=3Beight young=2C which consisted of four nestings.&nbsp=3B=
&nbsp=3BA&nbsp=3Bpair returned to the same spot this year above the light f=
ixture outside of the house.&nbsp=3B Yesterday there were two large young i=
n the nest and the adult was not observed to return=2C so the house owner t=
hinking the worst gave me a call as to what she should do for the young.&nb=
sp=3B I was unable to phone her back until this morning or did not get the =
message until today.&nbsp=3B In the meantime she had her husband climb the =
ladder and try to feed the young worms.&nbsp=3B (Keep in mind that I had no=
t phoned them back at this point)&nbsp=3B The moment that he&nbsp=3Bup the =
two young flew out=2C so they were old enough to fledge.&nbsp=3B When I pho=
ned today the adult had returned to the empty nest.&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=3B<BR=
>Dorothy Poole and I ran my third owl monitoring route last night which goe=
s from Camperdown to East Port Medway.&nbsp=3B Most of the area is now mile=
s of clear-cuts behind the few trees alongside of the road and it was the w=
orst that I've seen it for owls on this route.&nbsp=3B Before taking the ro=
ute over from Sylvia Fullerton I had gone with her to assist previously=2C =
so I'm familiar with the history of the route and what used to be there.&nb=
sp=3B So overall we had four barred owls of which three were visible.&nbsp=
=3B The one was at the limit of my hearing range.&nbsp=3B The second flew a=
cross without a sound and did not start to call until after the play back h=
ad ended.&nbsp=3B The last two were very vocal throughout.&nbsp=3B As per o=
ther wildlife.&nbsp=3B More common loons then I've ever heard on this route=
=2C on both fresh and saltwater.&nbsp=3B We had one American woodcock and o=
ne white-throated sparrow was vocal.&nbsp=3B As per Amphibians=2C there wer=
e very vocal spring peepers=2C loads of American toads=2C leopard frogs and=
 a green frog.&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>James R. Hirtle<BR>Bridgewater<br id=

--_9ddce85a-05a3-4a1a-a4e9-5e5db3e8b5c7_--