[NatureNS] North American Migration Count Today

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 00:03:51 +0000

--_35df7b09-3fe1-4585-8346-1161b34aa796_

Hi all: Pat and I had a good day with 57 species=2C but about 200 birds les=
s than we had last year at an earlier date.  Notable were missing American =
redstarts that we always have in good numbers along the Centennial Trail in=
 Bridgewater.  We also did not get any Magnolia warblers or yellow warblers=
 which we always find.  We could only come up with seven species of warbler=
 and on this route the normal is ten or more species.  We did have four Nas=
hville warblers and one ovenbird all of which were vocal and on territory. =
 Other warbler species included yellow-rumped=2C northern parula=2C palm wa=
rbler=2C black-throated green warbler=2C and black and white warbler.  Card=
inals found and killdeer are definitely not representative of what is prese=
nt on this route that I run.  I know of at least two male cardinals in Brid=
gewater that I missed.  I also missed killdeer at three locations where I k=
now they are present.  At Second Peninsula Glenn Rhodenizer told me nine ar=
e there but I only saw one in the fog.  There is one nest with four eggs th=
at Glenn told me about.  Other noticeable nest observations were a female r=
ed-winged blackbird gathering grass and two separate robins taking food to =
active nests.  I also heard young rock pigeons under an overpass.  Heavy fo=
g this morning and for most of the afternoon made counting a real challenge=
.  A first time ever without any ring-necked ducks.  Every year their prese=
nce seems to get progressively worse and this is a species I am especially =
concerned about in this area.  Thoughts about their numbers elsewhere would=
 be of interest to see if others are seeing a similar trend. James R. Hirtl=
eBridgewater   		 	   		  =

--_35df7b09-3fe1-4585-8346-1161b34aa796_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
&nbsp=3B<BR>Pat and I had a good day with 57 species=2C but about 200 birds=
 less than we had last year at&nbsp=3Ban earlier date.&nbsp=3B Notable were=
 missing American redstarts that we always have in good numbers along the&n=
bsp=3BCentennial Trail in Bridgewater.&nbsp=3B We also did not get any Magn=
olia warblers or yellow warblers which we always find.&nbsp=3B We could onl=
y come up with seven species of warbler&nbsp=3Band on this route the normal=
 is ten or more species.&nbsp=3B We did have four Nashville warblers and on=
e ovenbird all of which were vocal and on territory.&nbsp=3B Other warbler =
species included yellow-rumped=2C northern parula=2C palm warbler=2C black-=
throated green warbler=2C and black and white warbler.&nbsp=3B Cardinals fo=
und and killdeer are definitely not representative of what is present on th=
is route that I run.&nbsp=3B I know of at least two male cardinals in Bridg=
ewater that I missed.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BI also missed killdeer at three locati=
ons where I know they are&nbsp=3Bpresent.&nbsp=3B At Second Peninsula Glenn=
 Rhodenizer told me nine are there but I only saw one in the fog.&nbsp=3B T=
here is one nest with four eggs&nbsp=3Bthat Glenn told me about.&nbsp=3B Ot=
her noticeable nest observations were a female red-winged blackbird gatheri=
ng grass and two separate robins taking food to active nests.&nbsp=3B I als=
o heard young rock pigeons under an overpass.&nbsp=3B Heavy fog this mornin=
g and for most of the afternoon made counting&nbsp=3Ba real challenge.&nbsp=
=3B A first time ever without any ring-necked ducks.&nbsp=3B Every year the=
ir presence seems to get progressively worse and this is a species I am esp=
ecially concerned about in this area.&nbsp=3B Thoughts about their numbers =
elsewhere would be of interest to see if others are seeing a similar trend.=
<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>James R. Hirtle<BR>Bridgewater&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B<br id=3D"Fon=

--_35df7b09-3fe1-4585-8346-1161b34aa796_--