[NatureNS] North American Migration Count Today Ring Necked Ducks

Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 06:36:38 -0300
From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001a11c3c6300f310f04dc8223a0

Thsi is the first year I have noticed Ring-necked Ducks in the East
Dalhousie area (inland Kings Co.). I had 2 pairs on a small pool in a
marsh, a couple on L Torment and several at the inflow up in Lakeview (not
all seen on the count yesterday). I also notice a lot more Mallards being
around in the last few years.

Nancy

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 9:03 PM, James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Pat and I had a good day with 57 species, but about 200 birds less than we
> had last year at an earlier date.  Notable were missing American redstarts
> that we always have in good numbers along the Centennial Trail in
> Bridgewater.  We also did not get any Magnolia warblers or yellow warblers
> which we always find.  We could only come up with seven species of
> warbler and on this route the normal is ten or more species.  We did have
> four Nashville warblers and one ovenbird all of which were vocal and on
> territory.  Other warbler species included yellow-rumped, northern parula,
> palm warbler, black-throated green warbler, and black and white warbler.
> Cardinals found and killdeer are definitely not representative of what is
> present on this route that I run.  I know of at least two male cardinals in
> Bridgewater that I missed.  I also missed killdeer at three locations where
> I know they are present.  At Second Peninsula Glenn Rhodenizer told me nine
> are there but I only saw one in the fog.  There is one nest with four
> eggs that Glenn told me about.  Other noticeable nest observations were a
> female red-winged blackbird gathering grass and two separate robins taking
> food to active nests.  I also heard young rock pigeons under an overpass.
> Heavy fog this morning and for most of the afternoon made counting a real
> challenge.  A first time ever without any ring-necked ducks.  Every year
> their presence seems to get progressively worse and this is a species I am
> especially concerned about in this area.  Thoughts about their numbers
> elsewhere would be of interest to see if others are seeing a similar trend.
>
> James R. Hirtle
> Bridgewater

--001a11c3c6300f310f04dc8223a0

ks in the East Dalhousie area (inland Kings Co.). I had 2 pairs on a small =
pool in a marsh, a couple on L Torment and several at the inflow up in Lake=
view (not all seen on the count yesterday). I also notice a lot more Mallar=
ds being around in the last few years.<br>
uote">On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 9:03 PM, James Hirtle <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<=
a href=3D"mailto:jrhbirder@hotmail.com" target=3D"_blank">jrhbirder@hotmail=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

a good day with 57 species, but about 200 birds less than we had last year =
at=A0an earlier date.=A0 Notable were missing American redstarts that we al=
ways have in good numbers along the=A0Centennial Trail in Bridgewater.=A0 W=
e also did not get any Magnolia warblers or yellow warblers which we always=
 find.=A0 We could only come up with seven species of warbler=A0and on this=
 route the normal is ten or more species.=A0 We did have four Nashville war=
blers and one ovenbird all of which were vocal and on territory.=A0 Other w=
arbler species included yellow-rumped, northern parula, palm warbler, black=
-throated green warbler, and black and white warbler.=A0 Cardinals found an=
d killdeer are definitely not representative of what is present on this rou=
te that I run.=A0 I know of at least two male cardinals in Bridgewater that=
 I missed.=A0=A0I also missed killdeer at three locations where I know they=
 are=A0present.=A0 At Second Peninsula Glenn Rhodenizer told me nine are th=
ere but I only saw one in the fog.=A0 There is one nest with four eggs=A0th=
at Glenn told me about.=A0 Other noticeable nest observations were a female=
 red-winged blackbird gathering grass and two separate robins taking food t=
o active nests.=A0 I also heard young rock pigeons under an overpass.=A0 He=
avy fog this morning and for most of the afternoon made counting=A0a real c=
hallenge.=A0 A first time ever without any ring-necked ducks.=A0 Every year=
 their presence seems to get progressively worse and this is a species I am=
 especially concerned about in this area.=A0 Thoughts about their numbers e=
lsewhere would be of interest to see if others are seeing a similar trend.<=
br>

--001a11c3c6300f310f04dc8223a0--