[NatureNS] Hummingbird, purplefinches and Gannets?

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 15:14:49 -0300

I have spent a couple hours the past couple days working on my painting of
waves. At the Western Head Lighthouse is a perfect spot since I have to be
other places in town and the surrounding neighbourhoods at certain times.
I have been taken over in part by watching birds. I can recognize a few
Gulls, I can pretty much tell a duck but there have been these large,
powerful, bright white birds with black wing tips. When the underside shows
the wing is darker, to match the tips. I haven't had binocs to use with me
and If I did I probably wouldn't be any further ahead as most times they are
quite a distance out skimming along the wave tops.
Yesterday there were well over 36, in singles and sometimes one a bit behind
another and then several groups of 5 or 6 flying in a formation.  Today I
saw fewer and only one group but they were steadily passing. Might they be
Gannets? I haven't ever seen one that I was aware of.
Another was a larger bird, in silhouette, a torpedo or cigar shaped dark
bird with the wings seeming to come from the centre where other birds have
them at the front end or the back end. It again was a large bird (not goose
shaped) and I am thinking not a Cormorant and it was going at quite a clip,
a steady unaltering beat. No glide I could see.  I haven't had much time to
look it up so far but it seemed quite unusual to me, not being a seabird
person,......well not  yet.

Best regards,
 Marg Millard, White Point, Queens