[NatureNS] Cape Split field trip

From: "Bob McDonald" <bobathome83@gmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: "Bob McDonald" <bobathome83@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 12:02:58 -0300

There were about 15 of us on the jointly-sponsored BNS/HFN field trip to
Cape Split yesterday.  The spring flowers may have been at their peak with
such treasures as carpets of Spring Beauty, Red Trillium, Twisted Stalk,
Toothwort, Dutchman's Breeches, and Baneberry among others.
Warblers included Black-throated Green, Black-throated Blue, Northern
Parula, Black and White, Palm and Ovenbird serenading us on the walk in.
Several Blue-headed Vireos were also our constant companions and a Peregrine
Falcon flew slowly overhead (into the considerable head wind) as we ate our
lunch at the tip.

Thanks to Pat Kelly and Jim Wolford for leading the field trip to this
iconic location!  My GPSr showed the return trip to be about 15 km,
including a couple of short side trips for geocaching!!

Cheers,

Bob McDonald
Halifax

P.S. Our first hummer (a male)showed up this morning about a week later than
last year.  Yay!!