[NatureNS] Pomarine Jaeger, near Canning

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 12:37:54 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

--089e0158b6bc1bcf0a04dd1401f5

Hi,

I'm not sure if this got to NS-RBA, but Soren Bondrup-Nielsen, an Acadia
University biology prof. who lives near Canning, saw and photographed an
adult breeding plumaged Pomarine Jaeger standing on a dirt pile on Clarke's
Lane (goes from the south end of Canning Aboiteau to Wellington Dyke)
yesterday. I went this morning, and got an all-too brief look at it flying
low over the field across the road in a northerly direction, but lost sight
of it after it dipped behind a rise. The length of the tail streamers was
very impressive, and I was able to see the head pattern, the dark
uppersides and the white undersides for a few second before I lost it. I
spend about an hour in the area but could not re-locate it. I'll look
again. But at least as of 8:30 a.m. today it was still in the area.

The photo is super, and those who want to see it can e-mail me or Jim
Wolford separately for a copy, as I don't know if embedded photos work on
NS-RBA or NatureNS. It shows only a faint breast band, suggesting an adult
male apparently.

Some of you may remember the Long-tailed Jaeger that stayed in a field in
Gaspereau April 6 1990 for a few days - not that far away from this
one.Sort of makes one wonder if there is a Spring migration of jaegers from
the ocean to the Arctic over NS, and the odd one finds its way to a local
field.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--089e0158b6bc1bcf0a04dd1401f5

his got to NS-RBA, but Soren Bondrup-Nielsen, an Acadia University biology =
prof. who lives near Canning, saw and photographed an adult breeding plumag=
ed Pomarine Jaeger standing on a dirt pile on Clarke&#39;s Lane (goes from =
the south end of Canning Aboiteau to Wellington Dyke) yesterday. I went thi=
s morning, and got an all-too brief look at it flying low over the field ac=
ross the road in a northerly direction, but lost sight of it after it dippe=
d behind a rise. The length of the tail streamers was very impressive, and =
I was able to see the head pattern, the dark uppersides and the white under=
sides for a few second before I lost it. I spend about an hour in the area =
but could not re-locate it. I&#39;ll look again. But at least as of 8:30 a.=
m. today it was still in the area.<br>

 Jim Wolford separately for a copy, as I don&#39;t know if embedded photos =
work on NS-RBA or NatureNS. It shows only a faint breast band, suggesting a=
n adult male apparently.<br>

field in Gaspereau April 6 1990 for a few days - not that far away from thi=
s one.Sort of makes one wonder if there is a Spring migration of jaegers fr=
om the ocean to the Arctic over NS, and the odd one finds its way to a loca=
l field.<br>

"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.com</a=

--089e0158b6bc1bcf0a04dd1401f5--