[NatureNS] Common Terns are back at Wrights Cove (Dartmouth, HRM) !

From: "Dusan Soudek" <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 15:04:17 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_004F_01CE556B.4C7794D0

   Common terns are back at their colony on tiny Bills Island in =
suburban Wrights Cove of Bedford Basin, on the rapidly developing edge =
of North Dartmouth. Today, I saw maybe ten incubating terns through the =
binoculars from my car on the nearby mainland. But, judging by the =
racket over the colony, there probably are many more birds in the grassy =
vegetation and the rose bushes in the centre of the islet.
   I don=E2=80=99t monitor this colony on a regular basis, but I =
haven=E2=80=99t seen any birds there over the last two years. They were =
likely disturbed by construction activities nearby. Another good sign is =
that there were gulls around, nesting or otherwise. The Canadian =
Wildlife Service warning sign has disappeared from the island...
   Dusan Soudek

N.B. I=E2=80=99ve recently seen and heard a number of common terns near =
the new artificial gravel bar that stretches out from the King=E2=80=99s =
Wharf development in downtown Dartmouth. I wouldn=E2=80=99t be surprised =
if they tried to nest here, too. =20

------=_NextPart_000_004F_01CE556B.4C7794D0

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp; Common terns are back at their colony on tiny Bills =
Island in=20
suburban Wrights Cove of Bedford Basin, on the rapidly developing edge =
of North=20
Dartmouth. Today, I saw maybe ten incubating terns through the =
binoculars from=20
my car on the nearby mainland. But, judging by the racket over the =
colony, there=20
probably are many more birds in the grassy vegetation and the rose =
bushes in the=20
centre of the islet.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp; I don=E2=80=99t monitor this colony on a regular =
basis, but I haven=E2=80=99t=20
seen any birds there over the last two years. They were likely disturbed =
by=20
construction activities nearby. Another good sign is that there were =
gulls=20
around, nesting or otherwise. The Canadian Wildlife Service warning sign =
has=20
disappeared from the island...</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp; Dusan Soudek</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>N.B. I=E2=80=99ve recently seen and heard a number of common terns =
near the new=20
artificial gravel bar that stretches out from the King=E2=80=99s Wharf =
development in=20
downtown Dartmouth. I wouldn=E2=80=99t be surprised if they tried to =
nest here,=20
too.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_004F_01CE556B.4C7794D0--