[NatureNS] Giant Water Bug bite - yowsers!

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 13:11:39 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--20cf30363f81ee34d604dd50d391

For a few years, I've been working on an aquatic insect project. Today my
student Mallory and I caught a number of Giant Water Bugs (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethocerus_americanus) and larger Predaceous
Diving Beetles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predaceous_diving_beetle). The
bugs are also known as "toe-biters". I've never heard of any toes getting
bit, they normally feed on tadpoles, salamanders and more.

Mallory and I brought the live insects back to the lab and were working
with one of the bugs...they grab onto you with their raptorial claws, which
is mildly annoying, but then I saw the proboscis start to move - it pierced
me before I knew it, and the pain it caused was akin to a mild or moderate
bee sting. And it lasted for a good five minutes. Years ago, I picked a
backswimmer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backswimmer) out of a net and
received a sharp bite (again, more of a piercing)...the bug bite today was
very similar to that. The two insects are both true bugs, but I've really
no idea if the pain-causing agent is the same in both.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--20cf30363f81ee34d604dd50d391

t project. Today my student Mallory and I caught a number of Giant Water Bu=
gs (<a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethocerus_americanus">http://e=
n.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethocerus_americanus</a>) and larger Predaceous Divin=
g Beetles (<a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predaceous_diving_beetle=
">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predaceous_diving_beetle</a>). The bugs are =
also known as &quot;toe-biters&quot;. I&#39;ve never heard of any toes gett=
ing bit, they normally feed on tadpoles, salamanders and more.<div>

ere working with one of the bugs...they grab onto you with their raptorial =
claws, which is mildly annoying, but then I saw the proboscis start to move=
 - it pierced me before I knew it, and the pain it caused was akin to a mil=
d or moderate bee sting. And it lasted for a good five minutes. Years ago, =
I picked a backswimmer (<a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backswimmer=
">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backswimmer</a>) out of a net and received a=
 sharp bite (again, more of a piercing)...the bug bite today was very simil=
ar to that. The two insects are both true bugs, but I&#39;ve really no idea=
 if the pain-causing agent is the same in both.</div>

--20cf30363f81ee34d604dd50d391--