[NatureNS] Yukon and Alaska

From: Hubcove@aol.com
Full-name: Hubcove
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 18:19:27 -0400 (EDT)
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca

--part1_d14e2.3e462368.3ece9e6f_boundary

Just got back from 10 days visiting relatives making mammoth  wages in the
far North. Spent most of the time wandering the Yukon and adjoining  Alaska
and had some amazing wildlife experiences. Certainly a highlight was a
visit to Haines Alaska, where, quite by chance, we witnessed a run of  eulochon
(oolicans), a West Coast capelin, running up the Chilcoot river  hotly
pursued by dozens of Stellars  sea lions, putting on a display of  jumping and
diving better than anything Disney could do.
Later, we took the high speed ferry from Skagway to Juneau and  saw many
Humpback whales feeding on the small fish, sometimes bumping into the  rocky
shores in pursuit. Also Dall porpoises, harbour seals, and dozens of
Sealions. Passed a rookery with dozens of sea lions lounging around looking like
giant slugs.
Further down the inlet from Skagway there were literally tens  of thousands
of Scoters, the vast majority surf scoters. I have never seen so  many of
one species in one place. They are apparently waiting for the weather to  go
North and breed.
Other highlights included black and brown bears, lots of  mountain goats,
one with a baby, and Bald eagles everywhere. They are about as  abundant as
chickadees in NS.  Getting above the tree line on the way to  Alaska there
were lots of Ptarmigan and ravens.
Altogether an incredible experience.
Peter Stow
Hubbards
--part1_d14e2.3e462368.3ece9e6f_boundary

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUS-ASCII" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 10.00.9200.16540"></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: #=
000000"=20
bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7><FONT id=3Dro=
le_document=20
color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Just got back from 10 days visiting relatives making ma=
mmoth=20
wages in the far North. Spent most of the time wandering the Yukon and adjo=
ining=20
Alaska and had some amazing wildlife experiences. Certainly a highlight was=
 a=20
visit to Haines Alaska, where, quite by chance, we witnessed a run of=20
eulochon&nbsp; (oolicans), a West Coast capelin, running up the Chilcoot ri=
ver=20
hotly pursued by dozens of Stellars&nbsp; sea lions, putting on a display o=
f=20
jumping and diving better than anything Disney could do. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Later, we took the high speed ferry from Skagway to Jun=
eau and=20
saw many Humpback whales feeding on the small fish, sometimes bumping into =
the=20
rocky shores in pursuit. Also Dall porpoises, harbour seals,&nbsp;and dozen=
s of=20
Sealions. Passed a rookery with dozens of sea lions lounging around looking=
 like=20
giant slugs.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Further down the inlet from Skagway there were literall=
y tens=20
of thousands of Scoters, the vast majority surf scoters. I have never seen =
so=20
many of one species in one place. They are apparently waiting for the weath=
er to=20
go North and breed. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Other highlights included black and brown bears, lots o=
f=20
mountain goats, one with a baby, and Bald eagles everywhere. They are about=
 as=20
abundant as chickadees in NS.&nbsp; Getting above the tree line on the way =
to=20
Alaska there were lots of Ptarmigan and ravens.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Altogether an incredible experience.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Peter Stow</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>Hubbards</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>
--part1_d14e2.3e462368.3ece9e6f_boundary--