[NatureNS] Few Swifts in falmouth

From: "John & Francine Belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Ally Manthorne" <amanthorne@bsc-eoc.org>,
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 09:19:00 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01CE5796.8FAB9260

May 22nd.
 There were very few Chimney Swifts last night at the Upper Falmouth =
farmhouse of Cheryl Rutledge. Like Jim I got the impression that I =
missed many of them due to the poor weather conditions and few flying =
insects about. Conditions were gloomy with total overcast and =
intermittent cold drizzle. 10 C and winds of about 10 Km from SE.=20
I arrived at 8.16 and was greeted with a GB Heron flying slowly over the =
house, going to the North. Almost immediately 2 swifts appeared and a =
minute later 2 more. They were the only vocal birds of the evening, but =
only did an couple of circuits and then vanished.=20

8.23 first bird entered chimney with no fuss or warning - it would have =
been very easy to miss.
The pattern was repeated until the last one dived in at 8.38 again with =
no warning and leaving me wondering if I was imagining things. I had a =
grand total of 7 swifts for the whole evening.=20

 A small flock of Canada Geese landed noisily in a nearby corn field =
while I waited hopefully at 8.55 but no more swifts. I left at 9.05 =
never having seen a single flying insect - no wonder the swifts weren't =
very active. If they were out at all they probably had long returned =
before I got there.
John Belbin - Hantsport
------=_NextPart_000_0042_01CE5796.8FAB9260

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>May 22nd.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>&nbsp;There were very few Chimney =
Swifts last night=20
at the Upper Falmouth farmhouse of Cheryl Rutledge. Like Jim I got the=20
impression that I missed many of them due to the poor weather conditions =
and few=20
flying insects about. Conditions were gloomy with total overcast and=20
intermittent cold drizzle. 10 C and winds of about 10 Km from SE. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I arrived at 8.16 and was greeted with =
a GB Heron=20
flying slowly over the house, going to the North. Almost immediately 2 =
swifts=20
appeared and a minute later 2 more. They were the only vocal birds of =
the=20
evening, but only did an couple of circuits and then vanished. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>8.23 first bird entered chimney with no =
fuss or=20
warning - it would have been very easy to miss.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>The pattern was repeated until the last =
one dived=20
in at 8.38 again with no warning and leaving me wondering if I was =
imagining=20
things. I had a grand total of 7 swifts for the whole evening. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>&nbsp;A small flock of Canada Geese =
landed noisily=20
in a nearby corn field while I waited hopefully at 8.55 but no more =
swifts. I=20
left at 9.05 never having seen a single flying insect - no wonder the =
swifts=20
weren't very active. If they were out at all they probably had long =
returned=20
before I got there.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>John Belbin - =
Hantsport</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0042_01CE5796.8FAB9260--