[NatureNS] Fwd: Significant Chimney Swift roost in Fredericton

From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 15:05:44 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--f46d04103737fc864e04dd7aa69c

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ally Manthorne <amanthorne@bsc-eoc.org>
Date: Fri, May 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Subject: Significant Chimney Swift roost in Fredericton
To: NATURENB@listserv.unb.ca

Hi all,

Last week, Kevin Kelly located a large brick building on McLeod Avenue in
Fredericton, where he observed approximately 200 Chimney Swifts entering a
large brick chimney. Bird Studies Canada field staff Lucas Berrigan and
Gabrielle Beaulieu followed up this week to conduct counts for SwiftWatch
and first counted 787 Chimney Swifts on May 22, and 898 swifts last night
(verified by video playback in slow-motion).

I spoke with the owner of the property today and he is happy to let people
visit and observe the Chimney Swifts. In fact, he used to watch Chimney
Swifts at the now-abandoned Enterprise (formerly Incutech) chimney located
on the UNB Fredericton campus nearby. This is great news for Chimney Swifts
and a good chance to see what would now be the largest concentration of
Chimney Swifts in the Maritimes. The next SwiftWatch roost count will take
place this Sunday, May 26 and I encourage everyone to visit your local
roost site to take part in the counts. Surveyors are especially needed in
Sainte-Anne-de-Madawaska and Saint-Quentin.

The Fredericton roost chimney is located at 45.953138,-66.642601 or 710
McLeod Avenue. If anyone visits and takes photos or videos, please consider
sharing them on this listserv or posting them on our open Facebook page,
www.facebook.com/Maritimes.Swifts<http://www.facebook.com/Maritimes.Swifts>

Thanks to Kevin, Lucas and Gabrielle for your reports, and to everyone else
who has posted swift reports already this season. I look forward to sharing
the season tallies later on this year.

Ally

Allison Manthorne
Coordinator  | Coordonnatrice
Maritimes SwiftWatch | Suivi du Martinet dans les Maritimes
Bird Studies Canada  | =C9tudes d'Oiseaux Canada
PO Box | C. P. 6227
17 Waterfowl Lane  |  17 ruelle Waterfowl
Sackville, NB (Nouveau-Brunswick)  E4L 1G6
Phone | Tel : 506-364-5196 | marswifts@birdscanada.org<mailto:
marswifts@birdscanada.org>
http://www.birdscanada.org/volunteer/acswifts
Follow us on Twitter<https://twitter.com/Mar_Swifts> and Facebook<
http://www.facebook.com/Maritimes.Swifts>

NatureNB guidelines  http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbe.html
Foire aux questions de NatureNB  http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbf.html

--=20
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia
jameslchurchill@gmail.com
(902) 681-2374

--f46d04103737fc864e04dd7aa69c

Date: Fri, May 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM<br>Subject: Significant Chimney Swift ro=
ost in Fredericton<br>To: <a href=3D"mailto:NATURENB@listserv.unb.ca">NATUR=
Last week, Kevin Kelly located a large brick building on McLeod Avenue in F=
redericton, where he observed approximately 200 Chimney Swifts entering a l=
arge brick chimney. Bird Studies Canada field staff Lucas Berrigan and Gabr=
ielle Beaulieu followed up this week to conduct counts for SwiftWatch and f=
irst counted 787 Chimney Swifts on May 22, and 898 swifts last night (verif=
ied by video playback in slow-motion).<br>

I spoke with the owner of the property today and he is happy to let people =
visit and observe the Chimney Swifts. In fact, he used to watch Chimney Swi=
fts at the now-abandoned Enterprise (formerly Incutech) chimney located on =
the UNB Fredericton campus nearby. This is great news for Chimney Swifts an=
d a good chance to see what would now be the largest concentration of Chimn=
ey Swifts in the Maritimes. The next SwiftWatch roost count will take place=
 this Sunday, May 26 and I encourage everyone to visit your local roost sit=
e to take part in the counts. Surveyors are especially needed in Sainte-Ann=
e-de-Madawaska and Saint-Quentin.<br>

The Fredericton roost chimney is located at 45.953138,-66.642601 or 710 McL=
eod Avenue. If anyone visits and takes photos or videos, please consider sh=
aring them on this listserv or posting them on our open Facebook page, <a h=
ref=3D"http://www.facebook.com/Maritimes.Swifts" target=3D"_blank">www.face=
book.com/Maritimes.Swifts</a>&lt;<a href=3D"http://www.facebook.com/Maritim=
es.Swifts" target=3D"_blank">http://www.facebook.com/Maritimes.Swifts</a>&g=
t;<br>

Thanks to Kevin, Lucas and Gabrielle for your reports, and to everyone else=
 who has posted swift reports already this season. I look forward to sharin=
g the season tallies later on this year.<br>
Ally<br>
Allison Manthorne<br>
Coordinator =A0| Coordonnatrice<br>
Maritimes SwiftWatch | Suivi du Martinet dans les Maritimes<br>
Bird Studies Canada =A0| =C9tudes d&#39;Oiseaux Canada<br>
PO Box | C. P. 6227<br>
17 Waterfowl Lane =A0| =A017 ruelle Waterfowl<br>
Sackville, NB (Nouveau-Brunswick) =A0E4L 1G6<br>
Phone | Tel : <a href=3D"tel:506-364-5196" value=3D"+15063645196">506-364-5=
196</a> | <a href=3D"mailto:marswifts@birdscanada.org">marswifts@birdscanad=
a.org</a>&lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:marswifts@birdscanada.org">marswifts@=
birdscanada.org</a>&gt;<br>

Follow us on Twitter&lt;<a href=3D"https://twitter.com/Mar_Swifts" target=
=3D"_blank">https://twitter.com/Mar_Swifts</a>&gt; and Facebook&lt;<a href=
=3D"http://www.facebook.com/Maritimes.Swifts" target=3D"_blank">http://www.=
facebook.com/Maritimes.Swifts</a>&gt;<br>

NatureNB guidelines =A0<a href=3D"http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbe.html=
" target=3D"_blank">http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbe.html</a><br>
Foire aux questions de NatureNB =A0<a href=3D"http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/marys=
pt/nnbf.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/maryspt/nnbf.html</=