[NatureNS] RE: Fly Photos

Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 15:20:02 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@DAL.CA>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Angus,
Very nice photos, as usual. I'm not good at general fly IDs and rely
on BugGuide.net, but can recognize a few, and agree with some of your
IDs -- you are good at syrphids.  Some suggested revisions:

--#3 is definitely not a wood gnat (Anisopodidae), it's a rhagionid,
Rhagio mystaceus, like #9 (this one is a certainly a male -- eyes meet
at the top of the head -- not in females).
--#11, 'Machimus', agreed, it is a small robber fly, but is the common
Dioctria hyalopennis, a female by the shape of the abdomen, though
that's out of the plane of focus. Bev Wigney had a great pic of one on
her site, Magiccanoe or some similar name.
--'Lucilia a blowfly', appears to be a blowfly, but more likely is a
Calliphora species, male.  It appears in your series twice, at
8789077462 & 8617225129.
--Fruit fly unknown (small pic, 8785130892) looks like another,
smaller common rhagionid, Rhagio gracilis; the abdominal shape says
this is a male. Seems too orange-tinted though in this pic, always
pale pale yellow in my experience.
--Lucilia halteres (white bits) are not the halteres (all flies have
those but not visible here), but are a small accessory wing lobe or
calypter, present in 'calyptrate' flies.
-- I stopped looking soon after this, but a rather dishevelled looking
ichneumon further on looks more like a mayfly.

The right arrow does show up on Firefox/Mac in my case, but I wish
Flickr had an accessible thumbnail page view so that you could skip
around easily.  I think maybe it still does have but I didn't sign in
to check this.
Steve, Halifax

Quoting Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com>:
I've just noted that the right hand arrow does not show up for those
wishing to view the next image. Just use the right arrow on the
keyboard. (there are lots of complaints about the changes in Flickr
but no one mentioned this one?).