[NatureNS] RE: Fly Photos

Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 11:48:04 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

ppears in your series twice=2C at &l
Quoting Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com>:
> Hi Stephen & thanks for the ids & corrections.
>
> When I checked out what the viewer is able to see on my wife's
> computer, I was surprised. So limited!
>
> Thumbnail views are not easy to find but I can send a second link to
> everyone that shows something similar:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/58321572@N00/
>
> If you have a normal size screen you should see three photos across
> (with my 22" screen I can see four). Then you can continue to scroll
> down to see the rest of the pics from the most recent to the
> earliest. You can also do a single click on a pic to see it in
> larger size & also see my comments & the comments of others.
>
> Then click the back arrow to return.
>
> Is this the photo you thought was a mayfly?
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/58321572@N00/8707923635/
> Angus

Yes, but really just guessing.  The abdomen looks twisted but it is
still colored, so presumably recently deceased.  There appear to be
only 2 'tails' (caudal filaments, sort of rear-facing antennae), when
I think mayflies usually (always?) have 3, so that might say stonefly,
which do have 2 (Plecoptera). On the other hand the caudal filaments
are fragile and often break off, and there looks like a break in one
in the picture, so maybe there once were 3?  You'd expect a single
ovipositor in an ichneumon and more of a 'waist', but I suppose if it
was dead the sheath on the ovipositor might have become displaced, so
you could be right on the ID. Exotic wing venation looks more typical
of a 'lower' insect group than a hymenopteran, though, and mayflies
are next but one to the bottom of the winged insect tree.
You need someone authoritative on this one (= not me) -- perhaps Dave
McC in Cape Breton U could offer a better judgment if he's reading this.
Steve