[NatureNS] White Point Birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 13:26:58 -0300

It continues to be cool, so far. The Shrubs are beginning to bloom but still
we have daffodils and tulips etc in bloom.
There are multiple nests about the property and lots of tiny but ever
getting louder cheeps from the trees.  Robins and Grackles.

There are two pairs of White Breasted Nuthatches visiting the feeders every
so many minutes.

A female hairy woodpecker is coming to the seed cakes but the Grackles (so
many grackles) are cleaning them out faster than we can put them out. I
can't afford the store bought ones any more and  I have run out of them now.
I will put out plain pieces of suet for the next few days but with the heat
to come it might not be staying good for long enough.
She is 'very' upset with us and isn't above flying at me, screaming,  and
chipping chunks from the frame under the grapevine (which seriously need to
be rebuilt soon.
I am assuming she is trying to raise young and is very hungry. She appears
to be alone. I haven't seen a male with her for some time. Suggestions about
what to feed her would be appreciated. She did take an earthworm and mangle
it then she tossed it. I never know when she is coming anymore, I used to be
able to set time on her but the grackles are always here and they chase her
off.

We have several tree swallows setting up housekeeping. I think we could put
up even more houses and they would all be filled. Only house they will not
use is the one the nuthatches moved into early on then abandoned we think.
There is a catbird and we were visited by a Shrike. Steve saw it and looked
it up. I heard it later on but had no visual. We lost a male hummingbird who
was showing his territory and swooped into the car window. I don't think he
suffered. I popped him into the deep freeze with the others I am trying to
get to either the museum or to Randy.
I was looking after my sister's property and as I drove over, I cross the
Five Rivers Bridge in White Point Estates. There are some interesting sights
there and from time to time through the past couple weeks I have seen Herons
and a Kingfisher. There are ducks, of course, and someday when I am down
there painting I will take along the book and see can Id them.

Last evening as we drove home from Hunts Point on the side of the road was a
fox carrying what appeared to be a rabbit. Brown. wild probably.
Had a Baltimore Oriole in the apple tree yesterday. Don't they sing a lovely
song? Heard twitters but did not see waxwings but they are in the
neighbourhood. The apple trees are in bloom. We have a number of warblers
the most common are the yellow rumped.  A parula sat quite a time in the
grapevine the other day. I will be in the yard working a bit more often now
the rain seems to have slowed down and am sure there will be more sightings.
Deer have been though so we will need to protect out veggies. I haven't
known them to munch on Solomon seal before but this year they seem to be
trying it.
Best regards,
Marg Millard White Point, Queens
Marg