[NatureNS] White Point Birds

Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 09:13:09 -0300
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------050801010107060402080405

I use unshelled, whole, unsalted peanuts that I get from the Bulk Barn
(the cheapest kind there).  My peanut feeder is always busy with
woodpeckers, chickadees and starlings.

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 30/05/2013 8:05 AM, Annabelle Thiebaux wrote:
> [...]
>>> still we have daffodils and tulips etc in bloom.
>>> There are multiple nests about the property and lots of tiny but ever
>>> getting louder cheeps from the trees.  Robins and Grackles.
>>>
>>> There are two pairs of White Breasted Nuthatches visiting the feeders
>>> every so many minutes.
>>>
>>> A female hairy woodpecker is coming to the seed cakes but the Grackles
>>> (so many grackles) are cleaning them out faster than we can put them
>>> out. I can't afford the store bought ones any more and  I have run out
>>> of them now. I will put out plain pieces of suet for the next few days
>>> but with the heat to come it might not be staying good for long enough.
>>> She is 'very' upset with us and isn't above flying at me, screaming,
>>> and chipping chunks from the frame under the grapevine (which
>>> seriously need to be rebuilt soon.
>>> I am assuming she is trying to raise young and is very hungry. She
>>> appears to be alone. I haven't seen a male with her for some time.
>>> Suggestions about what to feed her would be appreciated. She did take
>>> an earthworm and mangle it then she tossed it. I never know when she
>>> is coming anymore, I used to be able to set time on her but the
>>> grackles are always here and they chase her off.
>>>
>>> We have several tree swallows setting up housekeeping. I think we
>>> could put up even more houses and they would all be filled. Only house
>>> they will not use is the one the nuthatches moved into early on then
>>> abandoned we think.
>>> There is a catbird and we were visited by a Shrike. Steve saw it and
>>> looked it up. I heard it later on but had no visual. We lost a male
>>> hummingbird who was showing his territory and swooped into the car
>>> window. I don't think he suffered. I popped him into the deep freeze
>>> with the others I am trying to get to either the museum or to Randy.
>>> I was looking after my sister's property and as I drove over, I cross
>>> the Five Rivers Bridge in White Point Estates. There are some
>>> interesting sights there and from time to time through the past couple
>>> weeks I have seen Herons and a Kingfisher. There are ducks, of course,
>>> and someday when I am down there painting I will take along the book
>>> and see can Id them.
>>>
>>> Last evening as we drove home from Hunts Point on the side of the road
>>> was a fox carrying what appeared to be a rabbit. Brown. wild probably.
>>> Had a Baltimore Oriole in the apple tree yesterday. Don't they sing a
>>> lovely song? Heard twitters but did not see waxwings but they are in
>>> the neighbourhood. The apple trees are in bloom. We have a number of
>>> warblers the most common are the yellow rumped. A parula sat quite a
>>> time in the grapevine the other day. I will be in the yard working a
>>> bit more often now the rain seems to have slowed down and am sure
>>> there will be more sightings.
>>> Deer have been though so we will need to protect out veggies. I
>>> haven't known them to munch on Solomon seal before but this year they

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
        whole, unsalted peanuts that I get from the Bulk Barn (the
        cheapest kind there).&nbsp; My peanut feeder is always busy with
        woodpeckers, </font>chickadees and starlings.<br>
      Don<br>
        donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      On 30/05/2013 8:05 AM, Annabelle Thiebaux wrote:<br>
      these peanuts in the shell or out?&nbsp; We have one of the feeders
      hanging &amp; put peanuts in the shell in there, the chickadees