[NatureNS] 121 Chimney Swifts in Falmouth - May 30

From: "John & Francine Belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Ally Manthorne" <amanthorne@bsc-eoc.org>,
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 23:20:41 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01CE5D8C.4D732740

This evening was not planned as a swift watch for me as I believed that =
the owner of the farmhouse would be home to do the reporting. At the =
last minute I decided to check it out which proved to be a good move as =
there was no-one else there at the time. I arrived at 8:10 which was far =
too early given the conditions - nothing happened for a very long time. =
It was a real spring evening, 18 C with 50% cloud cover and a light 5 km =
breeze from the NW. Lots of bugs but little to keep me amused.  A few =
swifts and barn swallows were circling very high up and clearly enjoying =
themselves.

 I had parked in front of an open barn door and for a long while my =
amusement was had by a couple of Barn Swallows swooping right round the =
car  as they flew in and out of the door on their way to their nest.

 8:45 a lone swift entered the chimney , the others were too busy =
feeding to bother,
By 9:00 there were still only 6 birds in the circuit.
9:10 3 more decided to drop in and then a fairly slow procession began, =
completely unlike the frenetic few minutes of Monday.

 I had a good view of the chimney from the centre of the lawn and could =
clearly see that some process in the chimney was holding things up. =
Several times 3 or 4 swifts that had begun to enter clearly stopped so =
abruptly that they actually bumped into each other just a foot or two =
above the chimney.  It looked as if some other swifts were in the way. =
That would continue for a while as the group did more circuits and then =
several would enter rapidly until another jam occurred and repeat the =
process. Occasionally a swift would emerge from the chimney as others =
were trying to enter, confusing the process and my counting.

The last one entered at 9:27 and there had been an almost continuous =
process up to that point. It was very dark by then and I believe this =
entry was far longer than normal.=20
I was very surprised to total my counts and see the numbers, because at =
no time was there a large group circling the chimney, they just kept =
coming. There were lots of bugs and I was well bitten for my efforts
 John Belbin - Hantsport
------=_NextPart_000_003E_01CE5D8C.4D732740

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>This evening was not planned as a swift =
watch for=20
me as I believed that the owner of the farmhouse would be home to do the =

reporting. At the last minute I decided to check it out which proved to =
be a=20
good move as there was no-one else there at the time. I arrived at 8:10 =
which=20
was far too early given the conditions - nothing happened for a very =
long time.=20
It was a real spring evening, 18 C with 50% cloud cover and a light 5 km =
breeze=20
from the NW. Lots of bugs but little to keep me amused.&nbsp; A few =
swifts and=20
barn swallows were circling very high up and clearly enjoying=20
themselves.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>&nbsp;I had parked in front of an open =
barn door=20
and for a long while my amusement was had by a couple of Barn Swallows =
swooping=20
right round the car&nbsp; as they flew in and out of the door on their =
way to=20
their nest.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>&nbsp;8:45 a lone swift entered the =
chimney , the=20
others were too busy feeding to bother,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>By 9:00 there were still only 6 birds =
in the=20
circuit.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>9:10 3 more decided to drop in and then =
a fairly=20
slow procession began, completely unlike the frenetic few minutes of=20
Monday.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>&nbsp;I had a good view of the chimney =
from the=20
centre of the lawn and could clearly see that some process in the =
chimney was=20
holding things up. Several times 3 or 4 swifts that had begun to enter =
clearly=20
stopped so abruptly that they actually bumped into each other just a =
foot or two=20
above the chimney.&nbsp; It looked as if some other swifts were in the =
way. That=20
would continue for a while as the group did more circuits and then =
several would=20
enter rapidly until another jam occurred and repeat the process. =
Occasionally a=20
swift would emerge from the chimney as others were trying to enter, =
confusing=20
the process and my counting.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>The last one entered at 9:27 and there =
had been an=20
almost continuous process up to that point. It was very dark by then and =
I=20
believe this entry was far longer than normal. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I was very surprised to total my counts =
and see the=20
numbers, because at no time was there a large group circling the =
chimney, they=20
just kept coming. There were lots of bugs and I was well bitten for my=20
efforts</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>&nbsp;John Belbin -=20
Hantsport</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01CE5D8C.4D732740--