[NatureNS] Flycatchers and observations

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 23:52:08 +0000

--_7b81a00d-330e-4571-aa31-d1373962cdb5_

I finally got to see the eaglet just outside of Bridgewater today.  I guess=
 it would actually be considered as Oakhill.  Anyhow=2C the eaglet is about=
 three quarters grown.  Much larger than I anticipated that it should be at=
 this time.  I knew that the eggs had hatched quite some time ago=2C but wi=
th many stops I was unable to see the eaglet in the nest before now. =20
=20
At the Upper Blue Rocks Cemetery Road by Garden Lots there were a number of=
 flycatchers present.  There were at least two alder flycatchers.  One flyc=
atcher calling I'm sure was a willow flycatcher.  I was unable to see it ot=
her than it flying up into the air and down again.  I'm kicking myself as I=
 had a recorder in my pocket and did not even think about it until after th=
e fact.  I had another flycatcher as well along the road there which had a =
strong white eye ring.  It was alder flycatcher size and the chest had a li=
ght olive wash the whole way down.  There were strong wing bars as well.  I=
t was making a vocal=2C but not one that I'm familiar with.  It was in the =
open and wouldn't you know it that I forgot the camera today.
=20
I certainly wish that I had a good camera as there were some great photo op=
portunities around.  In East LaHave four spider strands were floating out s=
traight in the wind with a spider at the end of one.  In Blue Rocks we obse=
rved a straight line of ants some going in one direction and some in anothe=
r over the top of a rock.  There were probably about 300-400 ants in the li=
ne or more and they were all following the exact same route as if there wer=
e a highway created for them over the rock face. Spacing between the two li=
nes of travel was perfect and a mathematician would have been amazed by suc=
h a sight I would think.  The other thing that I think would have made a fa=
bulous nature photo was a crane fly with one leg caught in a spider web.  I=
t was gyrating=2C so that I though that it was a seed pod of some sort caug=
ht in the web. =20
=20
On the Centennial Trail in Bridgewater yesterday as Pat and I walked along =
the trail white seed pods were floating down.  It was mystical as if we wer=
e walking through snow falling in the summer. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater=20
 		 	   		  =

--_7b81a00d-330e-4571-aa31-d1373962cdb5_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
ot to see the eaglet just outside of Bridgewater today.&nbsp=3B I guess it =
would actually be considered as Oakhill.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C the eaglet is ab=
out three quarters grown.&nbsp=3B Much larger than I anticipated that it sh=
ould be at this time.&nbsp=3B I knew that the eggs had hatched quite some t=
ime ago=2C but with many stops I was unable to see the eaglet in the nest b=
efore now.&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>At the Upper Blue Rocks Cemetery Road by=
 Garden Lots&nbsp=3Bthere were a number of flycatchers present.&nbsp=3B The=
re were at least two alder flycatchers.&nbsp=3B One flycatcher calling I'm =
sure was a willow flycatcher.&nbsp=3B I was unable to see it other than it =
flying up into the air and down again.&nbsp=3B I'm kicking myself as I had =
a recorder in my pocket and did not even think about it until after the fac=
t.&nbsp=3B I&nbsp=3Bhad another flycatcher as well along the road there whi=
ch had a strong white eye ring.&nbsp=3B It was alder flycatcher size and th=
e chest had a light olive wash the whole way down.&nbsp=3B There were stron=
g wing bars as well.&nbsp=3B It was making a vocal=2C but not one that I'm =
familiar with.&nbsp=3B It was in the open and wouldn't you know it that I f=
orgot the camera today.<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>I certainly wish that I had a good c=
amera as there were some great photo opportunities around.&nbsp=3B In East =
LaHave four spider strands were floating out straight in the wind with a sp=
ider at the end of one.&nbsp=3B In Blue Rocks we observed a straight line o=
f ants some going in one direction and some in another over the top of a ro=
ck.&nbsp=3B There were probably about 300-400 ants in the&nbsp=3Bline or mo=
re&nbsp=3Band they were all following the exact same route as if there were=
 a highway created for them over the rock face.&nbsp=3BSpacing between the =
two lines of travel was perfect and a mathematician would have been amazed =
by such a sight I would think.&nbsp=3B The other thing that I think would h=
ave made a fabulous nature photo was a crane fly with one leg caught in a s=
pider web.&nbsp=3B It was gyrating=2C&nbsp=3Bso that I though that it was a=
&nbsp=3Bseed pod of some sort caught in the web.&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>On=
 the&nbsp=3BCentennial Trail in Bridgewater yesterday as&nbsp=3BPat and I w=
alked along the trail&nbsp=3Bwhite seed pods were floating down.&nbsp=3B It=
 was mystical as if we were walking through snow&nbsp=3Bfalling in the summ=
er.&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>James R. Hirtle<BR>Bridgewater&nbsp=3B<BR></fon=
t> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_7b81a00d-330e-4571-aa31-d1373962cdb5_--