[NatureNS] Cape Sable Island run

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 18:28:11 -0300

Had a wonderful day trip planned and off we went to Cape Sable. It is most
definitely not the place to go to try to escape the fog!
 We finally found the parking area for the Hawk (missed it previous trips)
and I was able to get on and off the beach there without too much trouble.
We wandered several hundred feet up the beach and found it great walking.
Found carcasses of a small seal, a considerably larger one, the skulls
almost clean bone, and several bird remains that we are confident were Razor
backs. Couldn't see much for the fog which was surging in and out. I could
hear Piping plovers but could not see them.
As we drove through the Community, there are mudflats on the right that are
very paintable material. Stopping to take a few images, we disturbed a
female (?) with two males, Mallards that is. Around the other side at
Daniel's Head we were entertained by a gull posing for me. Good model too.
As we came back around from Daniel's Head there on the right were a few very
large white birds out on the marsh quite a way from the road..........Snow
Geese maybe?  Anyone out there seeing them?

As we were leaving we passed line of trucks causewayside and realized the
famed boat races were to start. Noisy!!
Best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens