[NatureNS] tick stuff

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 07:34:33 -0300
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e011827b680fae904de51a0e7

Permethrin is very toxic to cats, do not use this product around cats

Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre
RR#1 Brookfield NS B0N1C0
902-893-0253
birdvet@hotmail.com
www.cwrc.net
Find us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cobequid-Wildlife-Rehabilitation-Centre/134671693239334>
and
Twitter <https://twitter.com/CobequiWildlife>

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM, <ulli@dunlin.ca> wrote:

> Hit the send button a bit to quick
>

> Please: Do not use the animal stuff to spray your clothing.  It will
> likely not stick to well on the
> fabric in the first placem as the solvents are different even if the
> active ingredients are the
> same.
>
> My point is that it is already widely used in Canada for years on pets and
> lifestock, and in the
> process also exposing their owners to a certain degree to it, so why not
> for treating fabrics?
>
> It is a toxin and not a repellent, often marketed as of plant, i.e.
> biological origin but still toxic,
> but in the end it comes down to risk assessment.  On one side the small
> but very real
> chance to catch some nasty infection from a bug bite (lyme, menengitis,
> malaria, dengue
> fever ....) on the other side the minute chance of direct contact with an
> agent with
> presumably low toxicity for mammals.   I know what my pick is!  After all
> DEET is also not
> exactly a skin care product but I take it hands down overeven a single
> black fly bite.
>
> Ulli

--089e011827b680fae904de51a0e7

=3D"ltr">Helene Van Doninck DVM<br>Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre<=
br>RR#1 Brookfield NS B0N1C0<br>
902-893-0253<br><a href=3D"mailto:birdvet@hotmail.com" target=3D"_blank">bi=
ges/Cobequid-Wildlife-Rehabilitation-Centre/134671693239334" target=3D"_bla=
nk">Facebook</a>=A0and <a href=3D"https://twitter.com/CobequiWildlife" targ=
et=3D"_blank">Twitter</a></div>
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ulli@dunlin.ca" target=3D"_blank">ulli@du=
"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Hit the send button a bit to quick<br>
Please: Do not use the animal stuff to spray your clothing. =A0It will like=
ly not stick to well on the<br>
fabric in the first placem as the solvents are different even if the active=
 ingredients are the<br>
same.<br>
My point is that it is already widely used in Canada for years on pets and =
lifestock, and in the<br>
process also exposing their owners to a certain degree to it, so why not fo=
r treating fabrics?<br>
It is a toxin and not a repellent, often marketed as of plant, i.e. biologi=
cal origin but still toxic,<br>
but in the end it comes down to risk assessment. =A0On one side the small b=
ut very real<br>
chance to catch some nasty infection from a bug bite (lyme, menengitis, mal=
aria, dengue<br>
fever ....) on the other side the minute chance of direct contact with an a=
gent with<br>
presumably low toxicity for mammals. =A0 I know what my pick is! =A0After a=
ll DEET is also not<br>
exactly a skin care product but I take it hands down overeven a single blac=
k fly bite.<br>
Ulli<br>

--089e011827b680fae904de51a0e7--