[NatureNS] bees, grey seals & objectivity

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2013 10:31:03 -0300

Dear All,                     June 8, 2013
    Two articles in todays Ch Hrld caught my eye.

     One described use of buckwheat for bees. Honey bees do indeed like
Buckwheat, provided the plants have an adequate level of nitrogen. Leaving a
lawn unmowed until early June also helps bees provided lawn grass is not
allowed to crowd out the 'weeds'.

    Several decades ago, while investigating the potential for disposal of
seaweed waste on farmland, I had a field test involving control, two levels
of seaweed waste and two levels of nitrogen fertilizer with buckwheat as the
cover on all plots. When these plants flowered, the control and seaweed
plots were almost entirely free of bees while the nitrogen plots all had a
cloud of bees.

    The second article involved grey seals and objectivity; how very
quickly, in this age of foolishness, everything falls apart when objectivity
is supressed, discarded or made to stand in the corner.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville