[NatureNS] American White Pelican

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 19:30:07 -0300

The plate on the bill of the Lunenburg bird and its all white plumage make it an adult. The
dark on the lower mandible or pouch occurs in some adult individuals. In this species the
sexes are similar. In breeding plumage, there should be pale yellowish plumes on head and
wings, plus the bill plate. The plate is present, but I have not seen the plumes - although the
bird seems to have seem a tough time and is quite disheveled; it preens a lot and may have
lost some feathers.

We seldom know what becomes of displaced birds, although the larger and hardier ones
probably can head for home if they know where it is. If indeed this bird is weak (it didn't look
that way in flight) it  may end up moribund on shore. In that case, it may need the vet services
offered by Helene Van Doninck.

On 11 Jun 2013 at 13:36, James Hirtle wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I've been asked some questions about theAmerican White Pelican
> by the person who initially reported it. I would like some other
> feedback on her questions from those online before I send a
> response. For the question about the breeding plumage that is
> correct. I don't know if it is a female or not though. Is there a
> way to
> tell? The following came from Charlene MacDonald.
>
> I was down watching the Pelican again tonight and Iīd say heīs
> not feeling too
> well. Heīs not swallowing quite right and isnīt moving the same
> as yesterday. I shot
> some video but itīs not great. The swallows and I think some terns
> were diving at him.
> Can you tell by the sad pic I sent?I hope he makes out ok.
> If my research is correct he / she is in breeding form. Thatīs
> what the "lump" on its bill
> is.
> Any idea what may transpire? Will he eventually try to leave on his
> own?
> I saw a few other people taking a look at him from the shoreline
> next to the 332.
>
> James R. Hirtle
> Bridgewater

Eric L. Mills