[NatureNS] tree swallow nests

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 11:17:37 -0300

I am hoping we get a couple nests off. There was a set up at the barn house,
then it was abandoned twice, but now there are birds bringing in feathers
and trying again from the look of it. The newest house residents (replaced
the one over the grapevine for those who know the property) seem to be
incubating. He keeps arriving with feathers that won't fit in but Friday he
arrived with a curly one and they both worked to get it in. Now we have
chips and he arrives with food for her so I think we may be getting eggs.
Last year it was after mid July when the young flew. Usually they are talked
out as we celebrate Canada day with a BBQ next door. One year both of our
houses of tree swallows and then the 2 sets of barn swallows from down the
road are all lined up on the peak of our barn watching the festivities. It
was neat watching the parents coaxing them all to wing and go. Lonely the
next day, though.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens