[NatureNS] Beavers

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:57:16 -0300

Hi All,                    June 16, 2013
    In any contacts I have had with beavers they have been timid when
surprised and very friendly and inquisitive when called. My impression is
that their eyesight is very poor in air.
    When the Route 12 to Little River Lake canal was biota friendly I knelt
on the canal bank top and called a beaver from a likely looking side pond.
It swam across the canal and clambered up the bank to within a few feet;
looking left and right and whimpering once on land, saw me and then made a
dash for water. Another time I called a beaver out to a canoe and it swam
around us several times, apparently trying to see where the other beaver
was. And when standing in a foot of water, fishing in a lake, I called a
beaver from the far side and it swam around me several times, sometimes
stopping to stand and arf-arf.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville