[NatureNS] Giant Electric Light Bug

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:46:39 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Yes, attraction to street lights is one thing, but possibly not the
explanation here. I don't think that anything is known specifically
about belostomatids apart from the physiology of the photoreceptors.
But another well-know, smaller, also predatory hemipteran in Europe,
the backswimmer Notonecta glauca, was looked at earlier by Rudolf
Schwind.  There's a similar one in ponds here, maybe even the same
species, though it looks smaller.  Although they normally live and
hunt from just below the surface film in fresh water ponds, they
disperse from pond to pond by flying.  Notonecta locates a new pond
visually at short wavelengths, homing in on the plane polarized light
(PL) reflecting up towards it when flying, from the flat surface of
the pond.  This is the same physical principle that you notice when
driving, as the annoying light glare reflecting towards you from a wet
road surface ahead, which is partially plane-polarized.  The latter
can be mitigated by wearing Polaroid-type sunglasses where the axis of
the sunglasses' PL filter (vertical) is opposite to the major PL plane
reflected from the road or water surface (predominantly horizontal),
so the glare is partially blocked.

In a number of insects (esp. bees, ants, flies) certain eye facets are
specialized for PL detection with two sets of 'PL analyzers' oriented
at 90° to one another (sort of like having two orthogonal sets of
sunglasses but the implementation is different).  These analyzers lie
along the dorsal rim of the compound eye, normally point upwards, and
are used for analyzing skylight PL.  In Notonecta, unusually, it's the
opposite: the specialized analyzer zone is in the ventral eye looking
downwards, which makes sense if the bug is flying, searching for PL
reflections coming up from a pond below it.  The best guess would be
that the 'giant electric light bug' has the same pond-locating visual
specialization and that that's how it located this miniature pond.

The ones in S.E. Asia, Lethocerus sp., are among (and probably
actually are) the largest known insects and sometimes used to
illustrate the limitation on size imposed on insects, particularly by
the length of their respiratory systems.  Years ago I saw 100s dried
out in the sun displayed on tables, sold for food in the main market
in Bangkok, but declined the offer.
Steve (Halifax)