[NatureNS] BH Vireo activity

From: Nancy P Dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 05:57:46 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I watched 2 Blue Headed Vireos moving through the trees along the shores of L Torment (E Dakhousie, Kings Co) yesterday at noon. They were slowly heading in one direction, pausing to flit among the branches as they went. The whole time they were singing the usual BHVI song interspersed with trills, warbles and whines. They switched direction and slowly made their way back along the shore passing from view but I could still hear them uttering this unusual song in the distance. The chorus went on for about 15min.

For those with the Sibley app the song was similar to the one called "run-on song (interaction)". If you do not have this app, google the song type and species. It is likely on the Cornell website.

Sibleys gives no context (ie between mates or males, aggressive or ?- these birds appeared to be, frankly, enjoying themselves) for this song type. But, since they include it in a general field guide, it must be a common vocalization for BHVIs.

Has anyone else heard this song of Blue Headed Vireos and observed their associated behavior?

Nancy
Sent from my iPhone