[NatureNS] Chimney Swifts in Toronto

Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 22:00:42 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

href=3D"mailto:jimwolford@eastlink.ca"&gt;jimwolford@eastlink.ca&lt;/A&gt;&amp;g
--=====================_968968==.ALT

         In my experience Chimney Swifts continue to flourish in the
older parts of big cities.  I always see Chimney Swifts in downtown
Montreal, whenever I am visiting there.  Usually I see them over the
campus of McGill and the student ghetto area.  There are many older
stone and brick buildings with traditional chimneys in the
vicinity.  Another reason to preserve heritage buildings, I would say!

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

At 07:54 PM 24/06/2013, you wrote:
>Swifts do indeed seem to do quite well in downtown Toronto. We were
>in Toronto in June of last year from the 10th to the 14th and we
>stayed in a hotel next to the old Maple Leaf Gardens at College and
>Yonge. Every night the swifts would swarm and circle like they were
>going in to roost. I was only able to spend a couple of minutes
>watching each time and I never did find out the actual roost
>building. The sight lines are poor and the buildings very tall.
>Maybe they are Maple Leaf fans? There was quite a noisy group and
>you could clearly hear them over the very considerable traffic noise
>in that area.
>John Belbin

--=====================_968968==.ALT

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>In my experience
Chimney Swifts continue to flourish in the older parts of big
cities.&nbsp; I always see Chimney Swifts in downtown Montreal, whenever
I am visiting there.&nbsp; Usually I see them over the campus of McGill
and the student ghetto area.&nbsp; There are many older stone and brick
buildings with traditional chimneys in the vicinity.&nbsp; Another reason
to preserve heritage buildings, I would say!<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
At 07:54 PM 24/06/2013, you wrote:<br>
well in downtown Toronto. We were in Toronto in June of last year from
the 10th to the 14th and we stayed in a hotel next to the old Maple Leaf
Gardens at College and Yonge. Every night the swifts would swarm and
circle like they were going in to roost. I was only able to spend a
couple of minutes watching each time and I never did find out the actual
roost building. The sight lines are poor and the buildings very tall.
Maybe they are Maple Leaf fans? There was quite a noisy group and you
could clearly hear them over the very considerable traffic noise in that
area.<br>
John Belbin<br>
<dl>

<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:jimwolford@eastlink.ca">James W.
Wolford</a> <br>

<dd>To:</b> NatureNS ;
Margaret & George Alliston
; Ally (Allison) Manthorne ;
Joe Nocera ;
Karen Potter ;
Becky Stewart ;
Becky Whittam ;
Jim Wolford <br>

<dd>THANKS, GEORGE AND MARGARET! from Jim and all
SwiftWatchers!!<br><br>

&lt;alliston@xcountry.tv&gt;<br>

<dd>To: </b>&quot;Wolford, Jim&quot;
&lt;jimwolford@eastlink.ca
&gt;<br>

<dd>Subject: Chimney Swifts in Toronto<br>

<dd><font face="Arial, Helvetica" size=2>Last week I visited my daughter
and granddaughter who live in Toronto, a couple of hundred meters west of
Yonge St, two blocks north of Eglinton Avenue; a rather busy and highly
developed part of the city. Sitting in her (miniscule) back yard during
the early evening I could see and hear chimney swifts flying overhead. I
stayed out until dusk and sure enough, several small (3 or 4 birds)
groups began circling overhead and ultimately entered the chimney of a
Post Office building that fronted on Yonge St. I couldn’t get a good fix
on the chimney as they entered; I would guess between 10 and 20 birds.
Not a large group but interesting to see them being able to make a living
in “downtown” Toronto.<br>

<dd>Email scanned by PC Tools - No viruses or spyware found.<br>

<dd>(Email Guard: 9.0.0.909, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.21170)<br>

<dd><a href="http://www.pctools.com/?cclick=EmailFooterClean_51">
http://www.pctools.com</a><br>

<dd>No virus found in this message.<br>