[NatureNS] Bohemian waxwing here now?

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 17:39:40 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c365b8f871d604e03ce11e

Hi,

Someone the other day told me she had seen a flock of about 170 Bohemian
Waxwings in Wolfville 2 weeks ago! She said she saw the rusty under the
tail, the stripes on the wings, and the fact that looked different from the
Cedar waxwings that she knows. She said she took photos and would get them
to me - so far it hasn't happened. I don't know what she actually saw, but
she got quite defensive when I gently suggested they might be something
else. Actually I can't think of any species that would form a flock that
big at this time of year, except perhaps Starlings, Red-winged Blackbirds
or northbound shorebirds. Perhaps she was actually thinking of a few months
ago.

According to All the Birds of NS, there are a few June and July records for
Cape Breton and Sable Island.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--001a11c365b8f871d604e03ce11e

 me she had seen a flock of about 170 Bohemian Waxwings in Wolfville 2 week=
s ago! She said she saw the rusty under the tail, the stripes on the wings,=
 and the fact that looked different from the Cedar waxwings that she knows.=
 She said she took photos and would get them to me - so far it hasn&#39;t h=
appened. I don&#39;t know what she actually saw, but she got quite defensiv=
e when I gently suggested they might be something else. Actually I can&#39;=
t think of any species that would form a flock that big at this time of yea=
r, except perhaps Starlings, Red-winged Blackbirds or northbound shorebirds=
. Perhaps she was actually thinking of a few months ago.<br>

 10:24 AM, James Hirtle <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jrhbirder@h=
otmail.com" target=3D"_blank">jrhbirder@hotmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<b=
r>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

 of a=A0Bohemian waxwing here now.=A0 It came to=A0the feeder of a lady in =
Newburne.=A0 When I questioned her about this sighting she sent me back a d=
escription in detail for the bird and said that it had rusty under the tail=
, so that it was indeed not a cedar waxwing.=A0=A0Just one of those=A0more =
recent reports of birds here out of season.<br>

div>
chard Stern, <br>Port Williams, NS, Canada<br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichar=
d@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>##############=
#####

--001a11c365b8f871d604e03ce11e--