[NatureNS] Ronald Hodges bio + fairy ring of ferns

Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 10:49:43 -0300
From: Peter Payzant <pce@accesswave.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi, Steve-

Yes, MONA would be a huge investment, and in fact might not be a very
good one, if you were mainly interested in assigning a name to a photo
or specimen. This is a huge project and is far from complete, even
though it has been going on since the early '70s. Furthermore, although
it has wonderful photos, they aren't necessarily helpful in making an
identification, due to the problems of individual variation within a
species and similarities between species.

Like all science, the taxonomy of moths is in constant flux and you will
find the same organism named differently depending upon the age of the
reference you use. Likewise the higher-level organization (families,
etc.) changes with time.

To identify a moth, I usually go to a whole bunch of references
including field guides, Holland's ancient moth book, Ferguson's
"Lepidoptera of Nova Scotia" and of course the web. It's important to
get some idea of the range, habitat and food plants for the species,
since for example something which feeds on Yucca could pretty much be
ruled out for Nova Scotia. If you're lucky, the moth you're trying to ID
won't look much like any other species, and you will be happy with the
ID. Other times, the one you are trying to find will look like several
different species or none!

If you are really serious about naming a specimen, the Nova Scotia
Museum has a good collection of local moths and it may be possible to
get some help from them, although no doubt this would be dependent upon
whether they have the resources to deal with this sort of request.

As for the ring of ferns, sorry but I haven't a clue.

Peter