[NatureNS] Bad weather for breeding birds,

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 17:52:53 -0300

  style=3D"WIDTH: 16px; PADDING-RIGHT: 16px;

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01CE774C.F9E705D0

Hi Blake, I am very happy to say that doesn't appear to be the case =
here.=20
I have: baby Grackles ( oodles of them,   perhaps 13 nests),  Robins, =
(four or five nests, some consisting of one, then two, but cat took one =
of those, one  of four and the latest appears to be three. These are big =
and healthy looking and determined to pull out all my stringbeans as =
fast as I replant and they germinate.) Present are the young of both =
Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers, Northern Flickers awhile ago, Juncos, =
Chickadees, with at least one more nest still to come, Starlings, Blue =
Jays and Mourning Doves. I am sure there are Nuthatch young and we have =
several lots of Hummingbirds.=20
The Tree swallows have  occupied  2 of the houses but I am not sure one =
can bring off any young. There is a solitary bird over at the barn and =
I'm not hearing peeps. There are peeps coming from the one over the =
grapevine, close to the house with two birds trying to bring in food.=20
There are young Barn Swallows over the road at another property but this =
year there only appears to be one nest. Some years there have been  =
several. =20
Then there are sparrows. I've lost track of the sparrows and they seemed =
to have moved off, maybe because with the wet the grass is getting =
overly long.=20
On the shore there are strings of  ducklings ( I am unsure of the =
varieties.) everywhere. The mommas line them up on the rocks and then =
lead them away. Of course that doesn't mean they will all survive, =
sadly.=20
 A Piping Plover nest has young at White Point Resort and hopefully at =
least one of them will make it. Would be wonderful if all of them do.=20
I think this is our biggest year for baby birds all at one time since we =
have been here (now 23rd year)=20
There is a purple finch male about who may be feeding someone but I =
haven't pinned that down. Gold finches are about several at a time but I =
think maybe they are juveniles from last year.=20
Best  regards, Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
------=_NextPart_000_0005_01CE774C.F9E705D0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Hi Blake, I am very happy to say that =
doesn't=20
appear to be the case here. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I have: baby Grackles (&nbsp;oodles of=20
them,&nbsp;&nbsp; perhaps 13 nests), &nbsp;Robins, (four or five nests, =
some=20
consisting of one, then two, but cat took one of those,&nbsp;one&nbsp; =
of=20
four&nbsp;and the latest appears to be three. These are big and healthy =
looking=20
and determined to pull out all my stringbeans as fast as I replant and =
they=20
germinate.) Present are the young of both Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers, =
Northern=20
Flickers awhile ago, Juncos, Chickadees, with at least one more nest =
still to=20
come, Starlings, Blue Jays and Mourning Doves. I am sure there are =
Nuthatch=20
young and we have several lots of Hummingbirds. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>The Tree swallows have&nbsp; =
occupied&nbsp; 2=20
of&nbsp;the houses but I am not sure one can bring off any young. There =
is a=20
solitary bird over at the barn and I'm not hearing peeps. There are =
peeps coming=20
from the one over the grapevine, close to the house with two birds =
trying to=20
bring in food.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>There are young Barn Swallows over the =
road at=20
another property but this year there only appears to be one nest. Some =
years=20
there&nbsp;have been &nbsp;several. &nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Then there are sparrows. I've lost =
track of the=20
sparrows and they seemed to have moved off, maybe because with the wet =
the grass=20
is getting overly long. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>On the shore there are strings of =
&nbsp;ducklings (=20
I am unsure of the varieties.) everywhere. The mommas line them up on =
the rocks=20
and then lead them away. Of course that doesn't mean they will all =
survive,=20
sadly.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>&nbsp;A Piping Plover nest has young at =
White Point=20
Resort and hopefully at least one of them will make it. Would be =
wonderful if=20
all of them do. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I think this is our biggest year for =
baby birds all=20
at one time since we have been here (now 23rd year) </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>There is a purple finch male about who =
may be=20
feeding someone but I haven't pinned that down. Gold finches are about =
several=20
at a time but I think maybe they are juveniles from last year. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Best&nbsp;</FONT><FONT size=3D2=20
face=3DArial>&nbsp;regards, Marg Millard, White Point,=20
Queens</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01CE774C.F9E705D0--