[NatureNS] Bad weather for breeding birds, and disappearing hummingbirds

Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 15:32:13 -0300
From: BSC NS Plovers <nsplovers@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;p class=3D"MsoN
--047d7ba97518355a7504e09faebc

Hi all,

Sorry to say that Piping Plovers have had a poor breeding season so far in
NS.  For the nests that have hatched, chick survival has been much lower
than average.  June was cold, wet and windy - not favorable for flightless
chicks on beaches!  Will share more once the season's wrapped up but feel
free to contact me with questions in the interim.

Thanks,
Sue Abbott
Bird Studies Canada

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM, David McCorquodale <dbmcc09@gmail.com>wrot=
e:

> The evening of 02 July, four recently fledged hummingbirds showed up at
> our feeders in Georges River near Little Bras d'Or.  We did not put up th=
> feeders until early June, but the hummingbirds found them quickly and hav=
> stayed around.
>
> DBMcC
>

> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Judy Tufts <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>wrot=
e:

>> ** ** ** **
>>
>> We have fledgling hummingbirds coming to our Wolfville Ridge feeders, no=
>> sure how many but have seen at least three fledgling at the feeders.
>> However we have feeders at both the front porch (2) and at the back of t=
he
>> house (1) so it is hard to keep track but the syrup is going down in a
>> hurry.  2-3 adult females and one adult male still visit the feeders as
>> well.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>>  As far as fledged young seen here, the most successful species has been
>> the Pine Siskins.  Half a dozen adults appeared in April, stayed to rais=
>> families nearby, and by mid-June brought their brightly coloured offspri=
ng
>> to feed on nijer and sunflower seeds and they have remained.  I have
>> counted up to 20 siskins at the feeders.  ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Maybe we are very lucky - we seem to have had more birds here this year
>> than usual.   ****
>>
>> Other fledglings  seen: Hairy and Downy woodpeckers, N. Flicker,
>> White-breasted Nuthatch (this week), Song Sparrow, Red-eyed Vireo,
>> Blue-headed Vireo, Robin,  Blue Jay, Black-cap. Chickadee, Purple Finch,
>> Common Grackle, Junco, Starling, and Crow.  After a great struggle to fi=
nd
>> enough flying insects to feed their young, the Tree Swallow adults  in m=
>> nest box in the field across the road were able to raise a family after
>> all. We thought they had given up but they persevered.  I saw the last  =
two
>> of  their brood  fledge.  Male and female Rose-breasted Grosbeaks are
>> regular visitors to the feeders. We are keeping our fingers crossed hopi=
ng
>> they will be successful, as we haven=92t had this species here for quite=
>> few years. ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Other species on our property but breeding successor not known: Mourning
>> Dove, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Veery and Swainson=92s Thrush, Chipping and
>> White-throated sparrows, and Goldfinches.  Occasionally I hear and/or se=
e a
>> male Pileated Woodpecker hammering away on one of the telegraph poles
>> across the road or on a tree in our woods and wonder if he has raised a
>> family this year=85   Ovenbird and Eastern Wood-Pewee both call continuo=
usly
>> in our backyard though sometimes I hear a male Ovenbird unexpectedly
> [...]

--=20
Bird Studies Canada
NS Piping Plover Conservation Program
www.birdscanada.org/volunteer/nsplover/

--047d7ba97518355a7504e09faebc

Hi all,<br><br>Sorry to say that Piping Plovers have had a poor breeding se=
ason so far in NS.=A0 For the nests that have hatched, chick survival has b=
een much lower than average.=A0 June was cold, wet and windy - not favorabl=
e for flightless chicks on beaches!=A0 Will share more once the season&#39;=
s wrapped up but feel free to contact me with questions in the interim.<br>
_quote">On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 a