[NatureNS] Mourning Cloak

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 15:36:58 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_011F_01CE78CC.5209AB70

I saw a Mourning Cloak near the front of our house yesterday (Wolfville
Ridge).

Today as we waited in traffic line-up on the road being paved that runs from
the Ridge Rd  to Hwy 101, just by the entrance of the Old Orchard Inn in
Greenwich,  I noticed a 'butterfly' flying  erratically about a meter above
the fresh paving at the edge of the road ~ 4m from  our car.  As we began
moving slowly downhill it suddenly plunged to the ground.  It turned out to
be a beautiful Luna Moth and sadly it never moved again.  I ended up
wondering if the heat of the day or even if possible fumes from the newly
laid asphalt may have caused this.  Under other circumstances I would have
gone to investigate as one does not often see these beauties.

Cheers,
Judy

  Judy Tufts

 Wolfville NS