[NatureNS] Slime Mould

Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 01:18:48 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Angus MacLean <angusmcl@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_1695093697==.ALT

Thanks for this, Peter. This evening, friends of ours described a
slime mold on their back lawn. They said it was an intense yellow,
perfectly circular, abt. 16 in dia. They did not take a photo when it
was yellow & it faded fairly quickly the woman tried to pick it up
but that was impossible. It disappeared entirely in less than 2 days,
I believe they said.

Angus
At 07:30 PM 05/07/2013, you wrote:
>The recent spell of wet weather wasn't entirely without interest; a
>magnificent yellow slime mould sprouted in the duff under the trees
>at our home in Waverley. It was a good 15cm across. You can see a
><http://www.pbase.com/ppayzant/image/151159158/large>photo here.
>
>The <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slime_mold>Wikipedia entry on
>slime moulds is extremely interesting. From that article, I suspect
>that ours could have been Physarum polycephalum, and the
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physarum_polycephalum>article on that
>organism is even more interesting. Did you know that they can solve
>mazes and have been used to simulate road networks?
>
>Peter Payzant
>Waverley

--=====================_1695093697==.ALT

Thanks for this, Peter. This evening, friends of ours described a slime
mold on their back lawn. They said it was an intense yellow, perfectly
circular, abt. 16 in dia. They did not take a photo when it was yellow
&amp; it faded fairly quickly the woman tried to pick it up but that was
impossible. It disappeared entirely in less than 2 days, I believe they
said.<br><br>
Angus<br>
At 07:30 PM 05/07/2013, you wrote:<br>
wasn't entirely without interest; a magnificent yellow slime mould
sprouted in the duff under the trees at our home in Waverley. It was a
good 15cm across. You can see a
photo
here.<br><br>
The Wikipedia entry
on slime moulds is extremely interesting. From that article, I suspect
that ours could have been <i>Physarum polycephalum</i>, and the
article
on that organism is even more interesting. Did you know that they can
solve mazes and have been used to simulate road networks?<br><br>
Peter Payzant<br>
Waverley<br>