[NatureNS] re bats endangered -- good for other insectivores??

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 21:47:38 -0300

Hi Steve, Darrel & All,                        July 7, 2013
    I didn't explain my idea clearly enough. I thought 'bat air" said it all
but will now elaborate.

    Travel by ocean might work but I suspect the long time without
food/feeding would be fatal.

    The hypothetical tourist with dirty boots must have a remarkably unusual
anatomy and articulation for those dirty boots to come into direct contact
with bats for even an instant  let alone enough time to transmit a disease.
This idea that a human brought this disease across, in my view, has not even
a shred of merit.

    On the other hand, if this tourist is a European Bat, carries the
disease and travels by air ("bat air" to be specific) then the above
difficulties disappear. Our bat spends the evening feeding in the vicinity
of an airport in Europe, looks for a bat motel, finds this crate, enters and
goes to sleep. The crate is soon loaded into the cargo hold of an aircraft,
lands in North America. [And no, the bat would really not need to go through
Customs and Immigration.] The bat flies off and by nightfall gets close to
North American bats.

    Some might object that the bat would wake up when the crate was being
moved into the aircraft and consequently not make the trip. This in fact may
explain why the migration of bat disease did not happen decades ago. But
once a bat is asleep it can be very resistant to being awakened (Observed
years ago when I removed a wooden shutter while painting the house and the
bat took a lot of prodding and objecting before it took off.).

    All it takes is one diseased bat that does not wake up until after
take-off and the migration of disease is all but completed.

Yt, DW