[NatureNS] eBird sightings with numbers

From: Nancy P Dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 09:33:17 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I contribute my sightings to eBird and desperately wish there was an option for number categories when the absolute number is uncertain to the viewer.

Something sort of logarithmic would be nice. I. e. 1, 2-10, 11-50, 100+ instead of our only options being either an exact number or an "x". People estimate numbers very individually and, many times, not very accurately. Everyone knows how many birds they saw if a single or only a few. But what I see as 25 birds you may see as 45 but we could probably both agree on the category 11-50.

For the above reason I often just put an "x" rather than giving an inaccurate exact number. To me the "x" is more accurate by saying "I don't know the exact number." But numerical categories would be a lot better than an "x".

Perhaps this option is already built into eBird but I don't think so.

Nancy

Sent from my iPhone