[NatureNS] Fall shorebird migration+ butterflies

Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 11:30:57 -0300
From: BSC NS Plovers <nsplovers@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7bf109e09261a304e100e4de

Hi Ken,

Glad to hear that migrating shorebirds are starting to make appearances.
 Looking forward to seeing them. I just bought "Butterflies through
binoculars" to try and improve my identification!

Haley

On Wednesday, July 3, 2013, Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Ken McKenna
> Box 218 Stellarton NS
> B0K 1S0
> 902 752-7644
>
> On the first beautiful evening in a long time this year, one is reminder
that breeding season for some is over and south migration has begun. I
noted 10 Short-billed Dowichers, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs and 1 Greater
Yellowlegs at Big I. this evening with the nesting shorebirds still
present. No doubt, this is a small number compared to other migration
locations on the eastern and south shores but the first movement I have
noted. The air was quite hazy tonight maybe related to fires further west.
> On my way to Big I., I skirted the French River square (20NR44) on the
Lamont Rd.  for about an hour of late afternoon butterflying.
> I photographed the following:
>
> Long-dash Skipper-1
> European Skipper-8
> Azure sp-3.
> Common Ringlet-1
> Harris's Checkerspot-1
> Viceroy-2
> Great-spangled Fritillary-1 (I think!)
> Northern Crescent-4
>
> Many of these were along a power-line corridor where a Gray Catbird was
periodically doing a nighthawk-like call amid the many sounds it was
making.

--
Bird Studies Canada
NS Piping Plover Conservation Program

--047d7bf109e09261a304e100e4de

Hi Ken,<br><br>Glad to hear that migrating shorebirds are starting to make =
appearances. =A0Looking forward to seeing them. I just bought &quot;Butterf=
lies through binoculars&quot; to try and improve my identification!<br><br>
Haley<br><br>On Wednesday, July 3, 2013, Ken McKenna &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
2-7644<br>
&gt; =A0<br>&gt; On the first beautiful evening in a long time this year, o=
ne is reminder that breeding season for some is over and south migration ha=
s begun. I noted 10 Short-billed Dowichers, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs and 1 Great=
er Yellowlegs at Big I. this evening with the nesting shorebirds still pres=
ent. No doubt, this is a small number compared to other migration locations=
 on the eastern and south shores but the first movement I have noted. The a=
ir was quite hazy tonight maybe related to fires further west.<br>
&gt; On my way to Big I., I skirted the French River square (20NR44) on the=
 Lamont Rd.=A0 for about an hour of late afternoon butterflying.<br>&gt; I =
 European Skipper-8<br>
&gt; Azure sp-3.<br>&gt; Common Ringlet-1<br>&gt; Harris&#39;s Checkerspot-=
Northern Crescent-4<br>&gt; =A0<br>&gt; Many of these were along a power-li=
ne corridor where a Gray Catbird was periodically doing a nighthawk-like ca=
ll amid the many sounds it was making.=A0<br>
 style=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">Bird Studies Canada</span=
amily:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">NS Piping Plover Conservation Program</sp=
an><br style=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">
<a style=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif" href=3D"http://www.bird=
scanada.org/volunteer/nsplover/" target=3D"_blank">www.birdscanada.org/volu=

--047d7bf109e09261a304e100e4de--