[NatureNS] re 'Hant's' -- wasRosa multiflora on the go

Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 11:50:22 -0300
From: Doug Linzey <doug@fundymud.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 09/07/2013 11:33 AM, James W. Wolford wrote:
> Hi, Dave.  I'm curious about you putting an apostrophe in "Hant's" --
> was that on purpose, or by accident?  I have tried to find out the
> origin of 'Hants" in Hants County and gotten nowhere yet.  Do you know
> anything about it?  Cheers from Jim

Jim, here is a quote from the Wikipedia entry for Hants Co. (an
apostrophe would be wrong):
"The county of Hants was created June 17, 1781, and consisted of the
townships of Windsor, Falmouth and Newport. Originally getting its name
from the County of Southamptonshire in England, now known as Hampshire,
and abbreviated to Hants, the County was established out of part of what
had been Kings County."

And here's the explanation from the Hampshire (UK) website:
""Hampshire" is often abbreviated in written form to "Hants" and which
sometimes gives rise to puzzlement. The abbreviated form is derived from
the Old English Hantum plus Scir (meaning a district governed from the
settlement now known as Southampton) and the Anglo-Saxons called it
Hamtunschire. At the time of the Domesday Book (1086) this was
compressed to Hantescire."

Cheers,
Doug