[NatureNS] slugs and slug invaders in NS

Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 16:22:00 -0300
From: Douglas Guptill <dguptill@accesswave.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 03:35:58PM -0300, nancy dowd wrote:

> I remember flicking the big European Black Slugs (Arion ater) out of my
> uncle's Vancouver Island veg garden with hockey sticks every evening. And
> then there were the even larger European Giant Garden Slugs/Banana Slugs
> (Limax maximus) too.
>=20
> Weren't these hefty slugs being reported in HRM some years back? What is
> their status in NS now?

They (black slugs, up to an inch long) devour the garlic and onions I
plant (Dartmouth).  This year and last.

At first I didn't quite believe my eyes when I saw plant tops (onion,
garlic) stuck in the ground.  Now I do.  And where, just a week ago,
there were healthy plants, now there are just holes in the ground.

Douglas.
--=20
Bold character derived from stubborn patience and adversity.

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN--