[NatureNS] re ch. swifts vs. swallows et al. -- was Barn Swallows

Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 11:54:26 -0300
From: Ronald Arsenault <rongarsenault@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

n ab
--001a11c381826b397504e18e092d

Hello Nancy,

Barn Swallows nests are open at the top and a horizontal surface upon which
to place the nest is required. They will nest outside, but they need a
horizontal surface upon which to do so and one which is sufficiently
protected from the elements given the open-top design of their nests. I
suspect that most eaves do not meet both these requirements.

Both Cliff and Barn Swallows will use bridges.   I have noted that Cliff
Swallows usually nest on the "sides" of bridges while Barn Swallows nest
"underneath".

I suspect Barn Swallows will not nest underneath the eaves of your friends'
barn unless a sufficiently protected horizontal surface is available to
them.

Cheers,

Ron

--
Ronald G. Arsenault
Moncton, N.B.

--001a11c381826b397504e18e092d

 a horizontal surface upon which to place the nest is required. They will n=
est outside, but they need a horizontal surface upon which to do so and one=
 which is sufficiently protected from the elements given the open-top desig=
n of their nests. I suspect that most eaves do not meet both these requirem=
ents.</div>
ve noted that Cliff Swallows usually nest on the &quot;sides&quot; of bridg=
v>
I suspect Barn Swallows will not nest underneath the eaves of your friends&=
#39; barn unless a sufficiently protected horizontal surface is available t=
ail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-le=
ft:1ex">
Hi Paul and all<br>
Is it the usual for Barn Swallows to not nest anywhere outside but<br>
rather prefer inside spaces exclusively (barn, shed or garage or...)?<br>
I have nature-loving friends who have rebuilt their barns and made<br>
sure no swallows can get in and make a mess of their tractors etc.<br>
They feel the Barn Swallows will nest outside under the eaves instead.<br>
Maybe they are wrong?<br>
I have to agree with George Forsyth. Watching Swallows of any species<br>
swoop over open land is an aerial show worth seeing.<br>
Nancy<br>
On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Paul MacDonald &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:paul=
rita2001@yahoo.com">paulrita2001@yahoo.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Very interesting George<br>
&gt; One thing that cattle attracted was flies and mosquitos<br>
&gt; and the barn swallows followed the cattle closely.<br>
&gt; I grew up on a small mixed farm with 50 head of cattle<br>
&gt; and always lots of barn swallows. The swallows would light on<br>
&gt; the cattle&#39;s back in the field. In fact my Grandfather when he was=
&gt; working in the field would have them light on his shoulders.<br>
&gt; Of course there was so many added each year some would<br>
&gt; have to take up residence at other peoples farms or buildings.<br>
&gt; cattle or no cattle.<br>
&gt; There was two species Cliff Swallows ( Hirundo pyrrhonota ) which were=
&gt; called Eave Swallows and Barn Swallows ( Hirundo rustica ).<br>
&gt; Eave swallows nest outside under the eaves. My Grandfather had put<br>
&gt; up a board under the eave of the buildings =A0near the well where they=
&gt; nested. English Sparrows and Starlings done a bad job on them.<br>
&gt; Especially the Sparrows and the Eave swallows soon disapppeared<br>
&gt; when they arrived. The Barn swallows held on until the cattle left.<br=

&gt; We also had a large colony of Bank Swallows ( Riparia riparia ) in<br>
&gt; the front field. They nested in the south facing bank which was about =
15 m<br>
&gt; in height. =A0It worked good - we could only cultivate to about 5 m<br=

&gt; from the edge the bank so that ground was undisturbed and left<br>
&gt; to the swallows. Horses had more fear of falling over the edge than di=
d<br>
&gt; tractors!<br>
&gt; The arrival of the shunks finished that off. They dug out all the nest=
s<br>
&gt; as well as =A0destroying all the tern eggs on the beach. We carried<br=

&gt; out an active control program on the shunks but they multiplied faster=
&gt; than my Grandfather could dispense them . Taught me a lot about<br>
&gt; predator control if nothing else. His favorite method was to put<br>
&gt; a batch of eggs about 30 m from where he could sit. He would<br>
&gt; do that for several evening in a row. One evening he would wait and<br=

&gt; when the feast was on he would help the celebration<br>
&gt; with both barrels of the 12 ga. Much like Canada Day now.<br>
&gt; Effective in the short tern but no long term effect.<br>
&gt; Anyway we miss the swallows<br>
&gt; Paul<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; From: &quot;<a href=3D"mailto:g4syth@staff.ednet.ns.ca">g4syth@staff.e=
dnet.ns.ca</a>&quot; &lt;g4syth@staff.ednee them <a href=3D"http://t.ns.ca"=
 target=3D"_blank">t.ns.ca</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; To: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca=
</a>; James W. Wolford &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jimwolford@eastlink.ca">jimwol=
ford@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Cc: NatureNS &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@c=
hebucto.ns.ca</a>&gt;; Ally (Allison) Manthorne<br>
&gt; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:amanthorne@bsc-eoc.org">amanthorne@bsc-eoc.org</=
a>&gt;; Mark F Elderkin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:elderkmf@gov.ns.ca">elderkmf@=
gov.ns.ca</a>&gt;; Sherman<br>
&gt; Boates &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:boatesjs@gov.ns.ca">boatesjs@gov.ns.ca</a=
>&gt;<br>
&gt; Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 9:26:59 AM<br>
&gt; Subject: Re: [NatureNS] re ch. swifts vs. swallows et al. -- was Barn<=
br>
&gt; Swallows and Chimney Swifts<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Hi all,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; This is all very interesting, as both barn swallows and chimney swifts=
&gt; are less numerous than most of us middle and older aged naturalists<br=

&gt; remember from our past.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; When I grew up in Greenwich, Kings County NS there were barn swallows<=
br>
&gt; nesting in most of the barns in our community. From the west moving<br=

&gt; east: Murray Forsythe&#39;s barn had many nests, there were cattle but=
&gt; this barn is now gone; Richard Forsyth&#39;s ( now Harold&#39;s ) ther=
e were<br>
&gt; no cattle but swallows in many of the barns, they disappeared for a<br=

&gt; number of years but have returned in smaller numbers; Lewis Legge, now=
&gt; Stephen Legge, there were nests in all levels of the barn, cattle for<=
br>
&gt; only a few years that I remember, no nests presently; My dad&#39;s, Ge=
orge<br>
&gt; Forsyth&#39;s barn had barn swallows as I grew up, nests on three leve=
ls<br>
&gt; in some years, we had no livestock, there haven&#39;t been nests for<b=
r>
&gt; twenty years; Lorna Huston, now Ivan Rafuse, a small modern garage,<br=

&gt; had swallow nests, never had livestock, the birds entered under the<br=

&gt; roll up door that was left open about four inches, these birds have<br=

&gt; gone; Herb Johnson&#39;s barn had no livestock, but barn swallow nests=
 on<br>
&gt; two levels, this barn is now gone; Rhodes Hennigar&#39;s (now Doug), t=
here<br>
&gt; has been no livestock for many years, but there is a continuous<br>
&gt; healthy population of barn swallows nesting on three levels of an old<=
br>
&gt; barn on the property, there is a source on mud in an area where they<b=
r>
&gt; wash vegetables and fill farm machinery with water.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; In all of these cases the barns or garage are of wood construction,<br=

&gt; they have openings that are accessible to the birds, even open<br>
&gt; doorways, and there is a source of mud. The fact that livestock are<br=

&gt; present I don&#39;t think is as important, livestock will almost guara=
ntee<br>
&gt; that there is mud, but if there is some other reason that mud is<br>
&gt; available as at Doug Hennigar&#39;s they will still be attracted.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; About twenty years ago I remember poking my head into an abandoned<br>
&gt; shed on the lower end of the Stewart Mtn Rd, in Lower Blomidon, there<=
br>
&gt; was a barn swallow nest in this building and the adults swooped and<br=

&gt; chattered as I looked inside the building. This was not a building<br>
&gt; being used for any purpose by people, and it had not been used for<br>
&gt; many years, but this pair of swallows found it attractive!<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;m sure that the combination of conditions that attract barn swal=
lows<br>
&gt; to nest is known to barn swallows and might never be understood by all=
&gt; of us. I also think that just as some of us find some areas attractive=
&gt; for our living, and might not be attracted to other places, individual=
&gt; barn swallow pairs might nest in conditions that are not necessarily<b=
r>
&gt; &quot;typical&quot;. As important as nesting<br>
&gt; is to barn swallow populations their time in Nova Scotia represents<br=

&gt; only one quarter of the year, there must be many other impacts on<br>
&gt; their population that are not related to nesting.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; In any case there is a relaxing pleasure in seeing barn swallows<br>
&gt; swooping and coursing a lawn, hay field or pasture on a sunny summer<b=
r>
&gt; day, we should all be jealous of the freedom as they reel, in seeming<=
br>
&gt; abandon, countering gravity as we are bound to our lawn chairs!<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; George E. Forsyth<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Quoting &quot;James W. Wolford&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jimwolford@=
eastlink.ca">jimwolford@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Regarding the chimney swift, the history is a bit complex and of<b=
r>
&gt;&gt; course the mathematics of this is/are unknown. =A0Remember that be=
fore<br>
&gt;&gt; North Americans/Europeans built chimneys to which the swifts could=
&gt;&gt; adapt (which of course they did in spades), the main habitat for t=
he<br>
&gt;&gt; swifts in North America and probably also in South America (winter=
ing<br>
&gt;&gt; areas) was cavities in trunks and large branches of big trees that=
&gt;&gt; were old enough to have such fungus-or-other-related cavities.<br>
&gt;&gt; Needless to say, such habitats are long gone, and one wonders if<b=
r>
&gt;&gt; humans and nature are capable of ever producing such again -- anot=
her<br>
&gt;&gt; question might be whether the swifts would ever evolve back to =A0=
natural<br>
&gt;&gt; cavities? =A0(Hopefully, artificial cavities/towers might =A0event=
ually<br>
&gt;&gt; replace the lost habitats of old hollow trees and chimneys =A0etc.=
 with<br>
&gt;&gt; large enough openings for the entrance &amp; exit of swifts.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Another point to bring up is the foods of aerial insectivores like=
&gt;&gt; swifts, swallows, nighthawks, flycatchers, and ? and whether the<b=
r>
&gt;&gt; likely problem with those insects might be amenable to any kind of=
&gt;&gt; corrective actions. =A0We probably will never be able to show caus=
e and<br>
&gt;&gt; effect for the declines of these birds. =A0Another thing that has<=
br>
&gt;&gt; entered my mind is that agricultural chemicals are quite possibly<=
br>
&gt;&gt; parts of the problems, and they just might be affecting all sorts =
of<br>
&gt;&gt; kinds of biodiversity, other than flying insects.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Cheers for now from Jim in Wolfville.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Begin forwarded message:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; From: Fritz McEvoy &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fritzmcevoy@hotmail.c=
om">fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Date: July 11, 2013 3:18:42 PM ADT<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; To: NS NATURE &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">n=
aturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Subject: RE: [NatureNS] Barn Swallows and Chimney Swifts<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Reply-To: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@=
chebucto.ns.ca</a><br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Hi Rob and All,<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; =A0 =A0I stand to be corrected here, but my understanding is t=
hat it<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; was not only the old barns that were required but that farming=
;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; particularly the keeping of livestock; was also essential. The=
 mud<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; =A0and manure were used to build the nests and the insects the=
&gt;&gt;&gt; animals =A0attracted were a main food source. =A0We lost our l=
ocal<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Barn =A0Swallows =A0shortly after the owners of the barns the =
swallows<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; used =A0for nests, =A0which are still here BTW, got rid of the=
 last of<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; their =A0cows. All =A0the best.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Fritz McEvoy<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Sunrise Valley, CB (near<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Dingwall)<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 09:25:49 -0700<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; From: <a href=3D"mailto:rrtwoods@yahoo.com">rrtwoods@yahoo.com=
</a><br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Subject: [NatureNS] Barn Swallows and Chimney Swifts<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; To: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebuc=
to.ns.ca</a><br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Not to take away from the rapid decline that these species and=
&gt;&gt;&gt; others are experiencing, I have wondered did these two species=
&gt;&gt;&gt; first benefit from mankind as the are both strongly associated=
 with<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; =A0man made objects. Were their numbers from the peaks 30-40 y=
ears<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; ago =A0actually inflated due to man made structures being avai=
lable.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Prior =A0to the building of the large wooden barns across nort=
h<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; america what =A0would have been the population of Barn Swallow=
s.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Suitable nesting =A0habitat would have been more limited and u=
nder<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; much more =A0competition or predation.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Todays modern barns are made of metal which are almost impossi=
ble<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; to attach nest to and are much more BIO secure than the wooden=
&gt;&gt;&gt; barns of our forefathers. =A0The old brick chimneys that once<=
br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; abandoned, provided excellent habitat for the swifts are now<b=
r>
&gt;&gt;&gt; falling in disrepair or are destroyed in site clean up. Both o=
f<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; these structures did not exist before the industrial age and a=
re<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; becoming limited now thus maybe populations of these species a=
re<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; actually returning to more normal levels.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Owner of a wooden barn with 6 barn swallow nests<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Rob Woods<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Georgefield NS<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>