[NatureNS] wasp nest

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 20:39:39 -0300

Dear All,                        July 17, 2013
    Last year on July 22 I found a Yellow Jacket nest at North Alton that
had been built on the ground. I didn't get a good look at it because it was
partly hidden by greenery and active wasps. When I was next by there, Aug
12, the nest was gone but there were clear indications that it had been
hemispheric and attached to litter on the ground.

    Today I found a hemispheric Yellow Jacket nest, a bit over 10 cm in
diameter, that appears to be attached to surface litter, about 300 paces
from the 2012 nest. The wasps were quite active, because I had mowed close
to the nest with a scythe before I noticed it, and they appeared to be
normal sized. I have not seen such nests elsewhere.

    I am wondering if there is a species of Yellow Jacket that builds nests
on the ground as opposed to in shrubs or trees.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville