[NatureNS] E Wood Pewee other call

From: Nancy P Dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 05:50:50 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I heard a sound in the trees yesterday that I at first thought was a Broad-winged Hawk. It was a penetrating upslurred whistle. Turns out it was an E Wood Pewee doing a two part call I had never heard before despite having Pewees around every year and used to their usual whining "pee-a-wee" song.

If you have the Sibley's app (or another bird call source) do a comparison of the BWHA's call and the EAWP's "puree" call.  They are remarkably similar. Sibley's attributes this Pewee vocalization to migrants.

Nancy
E Dalhousie, Kings Co.

Sent from my iPhone