[NatureNS] Breeding Bird Survey - Shelburne

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 03:35:13 +0000

--_c12b0c51-5e24-4ee5-8f0d-73921ba8d13b_

 Hi all:
=20
I did my breeding bird survey for Shelburne=2C which includes Jordan Falls=
=2C Shelburne and up into Welshtown on July 4.  This was later than I norma=
lly run the route.  The following was seen in regards to birds and numbers.
=20
Shelburne & Welshtown & Area=2C Shelburne=2C CA-NS
4-Jul-2013 4:56 AM - 11:01 AM
Protocol: Traveling
40.0 kilometer(s)
45 species

Mallard  1
Herring Gull  11
Rock Pigeon  7
Mourning Dove  14
Barred Owl  2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  3
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  3
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Wood-Pewee  4
Alder Flycatcher  4
Least Flycatcher  3
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  33
Blue Jay  8
American Crow  23
Common Raven  4
Tree Swallow  17
Barn Swallow  4
Black-capped Chickadee  18
Red-breasted Nuthatch  3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  2
Swainson's Thrush  1
Hermit Thrush  42
American Robin  47
European Starling  4
Cedar Waxwing  18
Ovenbird  20
Black-and-white Warbler  5
Common Yellowthroat  17
American Redstart  3
Northern Parula  11
Magnolia Warbler  5
Yellow Warbler  9
Chestnut-sided Warbler  7
Black-throated Blue Warbler  2
Palm Warbler  16
Yellow-rumped Warbler  18
Vesper Sparrow  1     Heard and repeatedly calling.  Checked with ipod call=
 and responding back to call.  Could not find or not present on three other=
 follow-up visits=2C so likely a migrant passing through.
Song Sparrow  11
Swamp Sparrow  5
White-throated Sparrow  5
Dark-eyed Junco  9
Common Grackle  2
Purple Finch  3
American Goldfinch  1
=20
My comments overall are that numbers of bird species were lower than normal=
.  Missing for the first time were northern cardinal and gray catbird.  The=
re was a lack of kinglets.  White-throated sparrows were also low as were r=
uby-throated hummingbirds.  The first time ever to miss ruffed grouse.  The=
 count on palm warblers was high=2C with ovenbird taking the warbler prize.=
  Yellow-rumped warblers came in second.  There were no black-throated gree=
n warblers and overall=2C I've found this species very scare this year in e=
very location that I've birded.  Also=2C I've found low numbers for Magnoli=
a warblers.  American goldfinches were all but missing.  The red-eyed vireo=
 count was high=2C but a lack of blue-headed vireos.  Hermit thrshes were a=
bout normal.  Overall=2C within the count area if I were to include those h=
ermit thrushes seen and heard as well the number of overall birds would hav=
e been between between 65-75.  We had a low count on black-throated blue wa=
rblers.  Last year we had nine I believe.  There was a lack of downy and ha=
iry woodpeckers.  The first time that I've missed them altogether on this c=
ount.  The water level was extremely high and it is the highest I've ever s=
een the river.  This also created a lot more external noise.  The last five=
 stops were impeded by a grader.  This slowed me down immensely and created=
 a lot of external noise that would not have been present.  =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater

 		 	   		  =

--_c12b0c51-5e24-4ee5-8f0d-73921ba8d13b_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
=3D"FontBreak">Hi all:</font><BR><font size=3D"6"></font>&nbsp=3B<BR><font =
size=3D"6">I did my breeding bird survey for Shelburne=2C which includes Jo=
rdan Falls=2C Shelburne and up into Welshtown on July 4.&nbsp=3B This was l=
ater than I normally run the route.&nbsp=3B The following was seen in regar=
ds to birds and numbers.</font><BR><font size=3D"6"></font>&nbsp=3B<BR>Shel=
burne &amp=3B Welshtown &amp=3B Area=2C Shelburne=2C CA-NS<br>4-Jul-2013 4:=
br>Ovenbird  20<br>Black-and-white Warbler  5<br>Common Yellowthroat  17<br=
ow Warbler  9<br>Chestnut-sided Warbler  7<br>Black-throated Blue Warbler  =
 Heard and repeatedly calling.  Checked with ipod call and responding back =
to call.  Could not find or not present on three other follow-up visits=2C =
so likely a migrant passing through.<br>Song Sparrow  11<br>Swamp Sparrow  =
r>Purple Finch  3<br>American Goldfinch  1<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>My comments overa=
ll are that numbers of bird species were lower than normal.&nbsp=3B Missing=
 for the first time were northern cardinal and gray catbird.&nbsp=3B There =
was a lack of kinglets.&nbsp=3B White-throated sparrows were also low as we=
re ruby-throated hummingbirds.&nbsp=3B The first time ever to miss ruffed g=
rouse.&nbsp=3B The count on palm warblers was high=2C with ovenbird taking =
the warbler prize.&nbsp=3B Yellow-rumped warblers came in second.&nbsp=3B T=
here were no black-throated green warblers and overall=2C I've found this s=
pecies very scare this year in every location that I've birded.&nbsp=3B Als=
o=2C I've found low numbers for Magnolia warblers.&nbsp=3B American goldfin=
ches were all but missing.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BThe red-eyed vireo count was high=
=2C but a lack of blue-headed vireos.&nbsp=3B Hermit thrshes were about nor=
mal.&nbsp=3B Overall=2C within the count area if I were to include those he=
rmit thrushes seen and heard as well the number of overall birds would have=
 been between between 65-75.&nbsp=3B We had a low count on black-throated b=
lue warblers.&nbsp=3B Last year we had nine I believe.&nbsp=3B There was a =
lack of downy and hairy woodpeckers.&nbsp=3B The first time that I've misse=
d them altogether on this count.&nbsp=3B The water level was extremely high=
 and it is the highest I've ever seen the river.&nbsp=3B This also created =
a lot more external