[NatureNS] Loon Flotilla

From: Nancy P Dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 08:26:20 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Apple-Mail-F2CFE3E8-F5C7-4051-BF5D-D1EC3A73DDA3

L Torment (Kings Co) shows the same fish pattern as others have noted. I use=
d to catch big trout but it has all gone to perch in the last 20yrs.=20

And I am also surprised how the loons and C Mergansers survive with all the s=
peedboats and annoying jet skis. But they manage to raise a brood each year.=
=20

The Spotted Sandpipers were not all so fortunate this year. I saw one of the=
 small young taken out by the wave of a large boat. There was very little sh=
oreline at the time and the sandpipers were foraging on the rocks. A perilou=
s situation with sudden waves from watercraft. It is safer now with lower wa=
ter levels.=20

Nancy

Sent from my iPhone

On 2013-07-22, at 9:40 PM, John and Nhung <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Back in the summer of 1976, we surveyed Indian Harbour Lake as part of a N=
.S, Department of Fisheries sea ranching project.  A multipanelled gillnet y=
ielded a lot of white perch (most of which ended up buried aside from a coup=
le which I ate).  Another interesting item was the presence of dead soft she=
ll clam shells (Mya arenaria) on the  bottom.=20
> =20
> May the pickerel never make it there.
> =20
> And I share your sentiments re. speedboats.  A good reminder that rights a=
bused become wrongs.
> =20
 On Behalf Of Rick Ballard
> Sent: July-22-13 8:16 PM
> To: NatureNS
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Loon Flotilla
> =20
> The lake is connected to the ocean and has regular yearly runs of Gasperea=
ux. I used to catch nothing but trout in the lake, but in the last ten years=
 or so the White Perch have taken over. Sometimes I can catch a nice perch o=
n every cast of a fly.
> =20
> Normally there is only a resident pair, with some years having two pair, o=
ne at each end of the lake.  Occasionally, like this weekend, I see larger g=
roups of loons. The pairs appear to have good success hatching on this lake,=
 most years I see one or two chicks.
> =20
> Now, if only the speedboats would go away.
> =20
>=20
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 7:58 PM, Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com> w=
rote:
> You can depend there is a very good source of food in this lake Rick.
> I don't know the lake so my guess would be Gaspereaux or Alewife parr
> if open to the salt water or White Suckers if not.
> Sure a nice sight!
> Paul
> =20
d at Indian Harbour Lake, Guysborough Co. The photo shows a group of 6 matur=
e loons. Also seen the same day, probably not in the group photo, were the r=
esident pair with their half grown chick. So possibly there were 9 loons on t=
he lake at once. The lake generally has a single resident pair, and is about=
 5km long by less than 1km wide.=20
> =20
> --=20
> Rick Ballard=20
> Dartmouth,Nova Scotia, Canada
> =20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> =20
> --=20
> Rick Ballard=20
> Dartmouth,Nova Scotia, Canada

--Apple-Mail-F2CFE3E8-F5C7-4051-BF5D-D1EC3A73DDA3

sh pattern as others have noted. I used to catch big trout but it has all go=
urprised how the loons and C Mergansers survive with all the speedboats and a=
nnoying jet skis. But they manage to raise a brood each year.&nbsp;</div><di=
 I saw one of the small young taken out by the wave of a large boat. There w=
as very little shoreline at the time and the sandpipers were foraging on the=
 rocks. A perilous situation with sudden waves from watercraft. It is safer n=
nhungjohn@eastlink.ca&gt; wrote=
pe" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3D"Generator" conte=
nt=3D"Microsoft Word 14 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Helvetica;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Helvetica;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Georgia;
	panose-1:2 4 5 2 5 4 5 2 3 3;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";
	margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;